Main Menu

1971 V code R/T Challenger 4 speed Plum Crazy $40k

Started by GrandpaKevin, December 03, 2023, 06:15:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I've watched the price drop on this car over the years.

It needs work but for $40k, or even less it looks like it could be driven and enjoyed right now and would be a great restoration project.

Has fender tag and build sheet.

What am I missing?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6833385463414840/?ref=marketplace_profile&referral_code=undefined

blown motor

Sweet car! I wonder if the roof rust is scaring people. At 40K plus restoration cost you would me in to deep on it maybe but that doesn't matter to some people. If I had the money I just might go for it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

It's a car that you would just want to enjoy as is.  The rust showing is likely to lead to more rust that you expect if you restore it.  If you buy it as a project, you're paying to much.  If you buy it to enjoy then you might be pretty well off.  If it's structural sound, could be a blast to own and drive for awhile.  And if you fall in love and don't care about spending more money than it's worth when it's done, that would be an awesome car all done right!   :inlove:

RUNCHARGER

I think it's okay at $40k. Everything seems to be there. I would budget $20k for sheetmetal, order everything it needs while it's still available and drive it for a year or two before teardown. You can't afford to send it to a bodyshop but if you can do the work yourself you'll end up with a cool car and end up with about $70k into it. JMO. Maybe it's time to put my new spotwelder to work...
Sheldon

Skdmark

If it was a 71 Cuda or 70 Charger it would be long gone.

Just like the thread from the other day, 71 Challengers have not appreciated in value as strongly given their production numbers.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JH27N0B

Very cool car.  As previously mentioned, '71 Challengers don't get the loving one would think they should.  My NOM V code 4 speed that Greg Nelson of Mopar Ponderosa, who had owned the car at one point said is the cleanest E body he's owned, has never got a lot of serious interest in the market. A real head scratcher.  :notsure:
There was a very similar freshly restored black one unveiled MCACN a few weeks ago, white interior and no stripes though. Sharp car!

anlauto

When I saw this on Facebook, I thought it was a SCAM and just kept scrolling past....If it's a legit deal at $40K, this car should have sold ten times over in my opinion....YES, it's a money pit if you buy it to restore, but where are you buying ANY V Code car in ANY condition these days for much under $40K ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

I agree with all the responses.

If this car is legit it appeals to buyers like me who could care less about totally restored cars but still puts a premium on original performance Mopars with H, N, U and V's in the VIN.

Theese are types of cars that could be made into nice FUN drivers without dropping major $$$$$$ into them.
if the fender tag and build sheet are legit it keeps the car's pedigree intact and helps the car keep it's value.

I would think a good restoration body and paint shop could pull the vinyl roof off.
If the roof is fixable I would it patch it up and even if it's not perfect I would cover it back up with a new vinyl roof.
If the paint is nice and presentable I would be done messing with it and concentrate on putting a 4 speed back in it. :burnout:

I would look the car over real careful.
Check the radiator and cowl stampings to make sure they are present and match the VIN.
Make sure it has a correct 4 speed floor pan in it as the automatic brake pedal has me wondering a little. :thinking:

All in all I think it would be a great car to invest some time and money into as opposed to all the 72-74 318 Challengers I've seen for sale lately in the same price range or more.  https://4less-autosales.com/index.php/product/1973-dodge-challenger/?fbclid=IwAR2RnFmnTRzisjQlxwF3q0asWsrYQRaxK-w4t03DcmBwKzGirmX8Lu_9HdU

If I didn't already have 2 71 R/T Challengers I probably would be going to look at it but I'm getting old and I have a little Hellcat fever......

anlauto

Should let me build you a 71 Challenger with a Hellcat in it, best of both worlds  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: anlauto on December 03, 2023, 01:22:26 PMShould let me build you a 71 Challenger with a Hellcat in it, best of both worlds  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

I have a 73 Challenger that has been sitting in storage for many years that is just screaming at me for new gen Hemi.   I just need to educate myself on the best and most affordable way to get it done.

anlauto

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on December 03, 2023, 01:54:16 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 03, 2023, 01:22:26 PMShould let me build you a 71 Challenger with a Hellcat in it, best of both worlds  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

I have a 73 Challenger that has been sitting in storage for many years that is just screaming at me for new gen Hemi.  I just need to educate myself on the best and most affordable way to get it done.
I've finished four now, working on the 5th and have two builders in stock....if you ever have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out...I can tell you a lot of things I've learned  :alan2cents:

6bblgt

check the body numbers ...... there was a rebodied black six pack Challenger R/T running around Ohio ~25 years ago  :takealook: I wonder if this is it?

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 04, 2023, 01:00:17 AMcheck the body numbers ...... there was a rebodied black six pack Challenger R/T running around Ohio ~25 years ago  :takealook: I wonder if this is it?

From the seller's description in the Facebook ad...

Quote...cowl and rad support doesn't match vin so it's a rebody.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on December 04, 2023, 04:43:59 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on December 04, 2023, 01:00:17 AMcheck the body numbers ...... there was a rebodied black six pack Challenger R/T running around Ohio ~25 years ago  :takealook: I wonder if this is it?

Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on December 04, 2023, 04:43:59 AM

Interesting. The seller has updated the description from the original ad. Probably has an automatic floor pan too.

318Stroker

Fender tag, which matches the dash VIN, shows it as FC7 Plum Crazy.
Too bad it's a rebody.