Main Menu

71 340 Cuda convertible...ANOTHER UPDATE

Started by anlauto, April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Seller added this "disclosure" ....gets a trophy for understatement of the year :1place:

Ends tonight around 10pm....we'll see how high it will go.... :bigmoney:

"  I would like to retract my previous statement regarding the paint being ALL original.

While much of the paint is original, the rear end of this car appears to have had some repairs. Probably in the 1980s.
In a time before reproduction parts, cars were repaired with parts from other cars. Over decades the single stage paint has faded and blended in.

I apologize for any confusion. I am in no way a expert. This car belonged to my Father prior to his passing in 2011. I'm trying to represent the car to the best of my ability.

I would also like to further add the the cowl and radiator support has not been tampered with.

I encourage and welcome any and all inspection. Prior to the end of the auction."

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

I have a feeling the sale will not be completed for some reason and he will relist it.

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 28, 2019, 05:24:31 AM
I have a feeling the sale will not be completed for some reason and he will relist it.

That's quite possible, or somebody will show up, cut the numbers off and leave the rest behind    :haha:

JS29

OR, drag it on some kind of a trailer, stop somewhere out of sight. cut off what they want or need, then off to the crusher. No witnesses!  :bye:

70 Challenger Lover

OR.... the price was artificially inflated by friends of the seller and they got carried away and raised the bid higher than legit buyers were willing to pay. Happens way more than it should on eBay. Of course it could be someone really was willing to pay that much for the VIN but it sure seems unlikely to me.

RJChallenger

What would you reasonably get for that car without, a dash tag or clear title / ownership ? I  :dunno:

70 Challenger Lover

I thought that car did have a dash VIN tag and if it did, I could see it selling for several thousand bucks just because convertible Cudas are so valuable when finished.

A car like that one without dash VIN tags would be essentially worthless in my opinion because the metal shell itself has no real integrity left and what would be the point in buying something that had no useable metal parts and no VIN to transplant onto a new body? It would be like buying a ghost.

anlauto

Quote from: RJChallenger on April 28, 2019, 12:57:54 PM
What would you reasonably get for that car without, a dash tag or clear title / ownership ? I  :dunno:

Not much, the only real value is in the dash VIN tag and title :alan2cents:

JS29

Maybe the convertible top frame, windshield chrome.  :dunno:

anlauto

I just got a message from the seller....apparently he hasn't heard anything yet from the winning bidder  :looney: and even though I never even placed a bid, he wants to know if I'm interested in buying it  :thinking: :haha:

6bblgt

he's fishing, fish back: ask for pics of the body stampings  :pokeeye:

70 Challenger Lover

Those bids came from his buddies driving the price up for him. If the bids were legit, he'd look at the bid history and work his way down offering it to the next highest bidders that already showed a committed interest. That car isn't worth much and he knows it. He's just fishing for a sucker.

Crocha617

I'm fairly sure his guy knows exactly what he has. He has been selling off his father's collection for a few years now. He had another 71 Barracuda Convertible project and a 69 Coronet Convertible project and a few others.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Crocha617 on April 29, 2019, 10:06:47 AM
I'm fairly sure his guy knows exactly what he has. He has been selling off his father's collection for a few years now. He had another 71 Barracuda Convertible project and a 69 Coronet Convertible project and a few others.

So what does that mean?That he has a real jewel here and should hold out for more? Or that he knows this thing has been cobbled together like Frankenstein but he's hoping some buyer won't see that?

Every time I hear the words, "I know what I have here" the source is almost always from some delusional old codger with some rusty pile of junk that's melted into the ground so bad you can hardly tell what it once was. And he wants 500 times what it might be worth because he heard of a halfway similar car at Barrett-Jackson. Those words give me pause more than "barn find" or "cream puff."

We all agree that a real Cuda Convertible is worth good money when finished but this thing is a hunk of crap and it will take some real skill here along with a mountain of cash. It would be cool to see it saved and I hope it is but if it's as bad as it appears, $5k is more like it. And I think that's generous.