A Sad Cuda Story

Started by 61K T/A, February 21, 2017, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

This is why my car sits and waits. It's really hard to find a good body person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

anlauto

Quote from: Desmond on February 21, 2017, 05:24:31 PM
"I watched Barrett-Jackson..." says every other classic car ad posted in February and March.

But I feel for the guy, been there, got the T-shirt. It's not a fun place.

Yea....and who bailed you out ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

That's why I've been waiting 3+ years for my body/paint man to get back to my Cuda and finish painting the doors, front fenders, hood, valances, etc.  I know he does good work and it doesn't hurt that he gives me a break on the price.  Just wish he wasn't so darned busy! :pullinghair:

6bblgt

almost looks like he tried to buff a wrap?

& someone forgot to tell him, someone footed the $150K resto-mod bill before they sent the car to BJ to achieve those $100K hammer prices.  :bigmoney:

Desmond

Quote from: anlauto on February 21, 2017, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: Desmond on February 21, 2017, 05:24:31 PM
"I watched Barrett-Jackson..." says every other classic car ad posted in February and March.

But I feel for the guy, been there, got the T-shirt. It's not a fun place.

Yea....and who bailed you out ?

The mortgage broker who helped me get the money to pay you. :rofl:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Lots of mistakes made on that car. I am a bit surprised it hasn't sold yet though. I think someone that can do their own work could wrench that thing together and auction it off as those type of cars seem to have a market.
Sheldon

JS29

that spot on the door is NOT burn through, looks like All-metal filler that ether wasn't mixed properly didn't bond to the panel. the heat from the buffer probably made it separate.  :barf: that looks more like A gouge and not burn through.  :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

This is precisely why shops now quote 20K prices for paint jobs because they could do 10-20x insurance jobs in the same time.

Long story short - if you do not know how to work on a car for the most part you are depending on a sea of sharks to help you. This guy would have been better off to learn the skills to do the majority of the work himself. Then with bodywork and paint the only way I handle this is to set a timetable for things to get done and pay them when they finish that timetable.

This way your car does not turn into a project that never gets done and your car ends up under a cover in the back of the shop.

Seen this time and again.

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on February 21, 2017, 09:18:37 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 21, 2017, 07:58:33 AM
Yes: There are three sides to every story. Thirty years ago I didn't understand how body and paint could cost so much, then I did the bodywork and painted my first car. On the other hand I've seen a ton of flakes in the industry as well.
The problem in my area, shops are only doing insurance jobs, not a complete paint job.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200