Main Menu

Sunroof R/T on ebay

Started by EV2RTSE, August 28, 2018, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: YYZ on August 29, 2018, 04:52:40 AM
The door tag may provide an explanation -- usually the 'Courier' font is seen when the car is pulled off the line for other operations such as quality control.

This could potentially mean that this particular Challenger was in the plant for longer than normal, perhaps long enough for engine dates to align.

That said, the hand stamping of the number doesn't look great.  I'd want to see better photos of the pad itself as untouched blocks tend to have a certain pattern and appearance from the original machining that a modified pad wont.

The sunroof cars got the different font on the door VIN decal for what it's worth...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

Those block stamps are too wide. The 1 and 4 are not right. Those are hardware store stamps.  I'm not as knowledgeable as Dan, but I say it's been restamped.

RUNCHARGER

That stamp is as good as a $3 bill.
Sheldon

anlauto

We know it's a messed-up stamp, just can't be 100% certain when, where, or by who.... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

It would be nice if we had a better photo of the VIN.  Normally if it's been "shaved" it's easy to see the ledge that they shaved to get rid of the previous number, but in that photo it's hard to see if there's a ledge or not.  Someone should ask for the casting date on the engine.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on August 29, 2018, 07:28:39 AM
We know it's a messed-up stamp, just can't be 100% certain when, where, or by who.... :dunno:

We also know the stamps used are not even close to the same font used by the factory.....   

anlauto

So if some one had to manually stamp it at the factory as suggested earlier, he would be concerned about fonts ? Gees this is not NASA we're talking about... :huh:

1 Wild R/T

Would the man doing the stamping care?   No... But he would grab the stamps that were close by and available to him.... Guess what.. They are going to be the same ones every other engine was stamped with... You want different stamps, look somewhere else.... All the stamps in the area are going to be the same font... 

Next your gonna tell me maybe they took the engine somewhere else to deal with the stamping problem.... No... They don''t stop the line to deal with a minor problem... Either it gets fixed then & there or the engine leaves without a stamp....  I've been in enough production environments, stuff like this happens they have work arounds, those work arounds won't get you where this engine stamping takes you...

Cuda Cody

The logical next step is to get the casting date.  I'll ask the seller if he can get a photo of it.

ratroaster

So in your opinion is this font correct?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: ratroaster on August 29, 2018, 12:13:22 PM
So in your opinion is this font correct?

Being an LA stamping it's a little tougher to say.... The 1 & 3 font are different vs Hamtramck but LA may well use a different supplier for their stamps....  The 7 rocked back slightly isn't unusual & all the stamps are relatively close to the same baseline....  I'd want to dig up examples to be sure but I don't see the big flags the sunroof car engine throws.... :alan2cents:

The fact it's virtually impossible the remove an original VIN from the as cast surface on an automatic trans without it being obvious kinda points to it being original as well....

anlauto

Everybody has their opinion I guess :alan2cents:

ratroaster

I researched it in my Dave Wise books and LA did use the flat top 3 and both style of 1's.  Those kinda threw me off.

RUNCHARGER

The stamp on the engine block is done in a moon shape as well.
Sheldon

anlauto

Seller is looking for $15,000.00  :dunno:...