Main Menu

Tony Leopardo - Buyer beware!

Started by dhh, May 05, 2021, 12:19:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dhh

Saw this 1970 Plymouth Cuda for sale on craiglist. After inspecting the vehicle, found a lot of issues:
* Rust
* Poor paint job in a different color
* Dents in body
* Hasn't been driven in 10 years
* Incorrect interior color (white was converted to black)

I spoke with a local appraiser, and they classified the car as a "grade 4" and that it isn't worth more than 15-22k. When I made an offer to the guy (Tony Leopardo) he blew up into a fit of rage. I'm posting this here because of the unprofessional behavior from a (supposedly) prominent mopar enthusiast. It's one thing to price a car too high, but it's even worse to get this offended by a well-researched offer.

Buyers beware, this car has a lot of issues and is not worth the $47k asking price.

Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bar/d/san-mateo-trade-barter-sell-real-bs/7312943842.html
Screenshot included as well.

Skdmark

:welcome:

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

dhh

Quote from: Skdmark on May 05, 2021, 12:25:03 PM
:welcome:

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I hope I can find a different 70 Cuda for a reasonable price  :fingerscrossed:

Skdmark

I would recommend starting a post in the new members section to introduce yourself.
Also, make post in  cars for sale / wanted section with what you are looking for etc.

Good group of members here with deep knowledge.

:bigthumb:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Mymcodebee

The car has been forsale with the same photos for about three years or more.  That tells me all I would need to know about that car..

JS29

That car was for sale before, and disgust. The 340 looks ridicules.  :barf:   :welcome:@dhh to the sight. :handshake:

dodj

If you're going for an ebody, you have to stay alert. Lots of less than desirable people flipping over represented cars.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dhh

Quote from: dodj on May 05, 2021, 01:03:12 PM
If you're going for an ebody, you have to stay alert. Lots of less than desirable people flipping over represented cars.  :alan2cents:

The surprising thing here is, this guy is a collector with 30-something cars yet still doesn't seem to know the market.

tparker

$50K+ ugh. These guys are killing me. I wish these guys would get out of flipping and investing in them. These prices are fricken crazy. Same thing is happening in the guitar industry and I'm sure in others spaces too. The people that really want them, appreciate them, and would use them can't afford them. Would you really want to drive it at 50K plus? Don't scatch that paint. LOL

anlauto

Quote from: dhh on May 05, 2021, 12:19:09 PM

I spoke with a local appraiser, and they classified the car as a "grade 4" and that it isn't worth more than 15-22k. When I made an offer to the guy (Tony Leopardo) he blew up into a fit of rage. I'm posting this here because of the unprofessional behavior from a (supposedly) prominent mopar enthusiast. It's one thing to price a car too high, but it's even worse to get this offended by a well-researched offer.

I don't know what Tony said to you that you consider "unprofessional" but if I was asking $47K for MY car, and somebody offered less then half "15-22K" ....I might not "blow into a fit of rage", but I certainly would laugh directly in your face and not let the door hit you on your way out.... :steamingmad:

You're forgetting one thing when purchasing a classic car....the SELLER has all the power....he has the car that you don't.....you either pay his price or move on....I agree, this car has been advertised for a very long time and hasn't sold.....I can't speak to it's condition, or it's value....but the OWNER thinks it's worth $47K and that's all that matters....he's obviously NOT a motivated seller. Why try and drag his name through the mud, making a negative post about him because he didn't want to sell you his car ? :looney:

As for your local appraiser and his "grade 4" value.....I think he's a little inaccurate and likely doesn't know much about 1970 Cuda's, otherwise he would know that "15-22K" barely gets you a rusted out project car, especially a 70 340 Cuda.

You have a $50K budget, so why even insult this guy by making a lowball offer ? If the car itself is not up to YOUR expectations...move on... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I don't think the offer was too much of an insult at all. Asking $47k for a pile is not doing the hobby any good, all these guys will tell you they are in it for the love of the cars though.
Sheldon

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on May 05, 2021, 04:39:57 PM
Quote from: dhh on May 05, 2021, 12:19:09 PM

I don't know what Tony said to you that you consider "unprofessional" but if I was asking $47K for MY car, and somebody offered less then half "15-22K" ....I might not "blow into a fit of rage", but I certainly would laugh directly in your face and not let the door hit you on your way out.... :steamingmad:

You're forgetting one thing when purchasing a classic car....the SELLER has all the power....he has the car that you don't.....you either pay his price or move on....I agree, this car has been advertised for a very long time and hasn't sold.....I can't speak to it's condition, or it's value....but the OWNER thinks it's worth $47K and that's all that matters....he's obviously NOT a motivated seller. Why try and drag his name through the mud, making a negative post about him because he didn't want to sell you his car ? :looney:

As for your local appraiser and his "grade 4" value.....I think he's a little inaccurate and likely doesn't know much about 1970 Cuda's, otherwise he would know that "15-22K" barely gets you a rusted out project car, especially a 70 340 Cuda.

You have a $50K budget, so why even insult this guy by making a lowball offer ? If the car itself is not up to YOUR expectations...move on... :alan2cents:

You can offer me a $1.00 for my car. I won't blowup. I'll just say, "No thank you!"

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 05, 2021, 05:30:20 PM
I don't think the offer was too much of an insult at all. Asking $47k for a pile is not doing the hobby any good, all these guys will tell you they are in it for the love of the cars though.

Look at the rust underneath the hood & laugh at the hockey stick stripe. I guarantee that car has 10lbs of Bondo holding it together. The rear emblem is placed half-assed. I don't see any exhaust tips & rear valence looks damaged. Grille is weathered. I'm sure the laundry list goes on and on. In the ad, he doesn't mention squat.

anlauto

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on May 05, 2021, 06:14:31 PM

You can offer me a $1.00 for my car. I won't blowup. I'll just say, "No thank you!"

Exactly..it's YOUR car, you can think, and ask whatever you want...and you can sell it or keep it, it's your choice....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

I'll agree this 340 'cuda isn't worth $47K but it is worth significantly more than $22K   :alan2cents:

I'd love to have a Lancia Stratos & because my budget will not allow that to happen doesn't translate to the cars being overpriced or their owners being out of touch  :crazytalk:

@dhh  :welcome: