Main Menu

Ignition switch problem

Started by Ccuda, May 06, 2022, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Anyone have a problem with ignition switch's. Bought a rock auto for 45.00 and now I coughed up 235. 00 for a NOS
And it looks In perfectly preserved condition. After disconnecting the old connector and reinstalling the new one without disconnecting the complete steering wheel it is doing the same thing.    When going from ignition 2 position to  start it will stay running until I release the start position. I had to remove the starter before this and was just wondering if I got something messed up there or if those faulty firewall connections are at it again.
Frustrated!
Ccuda

Brads70

Mrbill426

Sounds like ballast... starts and runs until you let go of the key then it dies?

Scooter

^^^ What they said... ballast. You can bypass easily with about .50c in hardware.

This is how I did it.

GL!

anlauto

I agree, by the way you're describing it, it has nothing to do with the $45 dollar RockAuto switch... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

It very well could be the ballast resistor but if not any break in the Blue wire running from the ignition switch to the ballast will cause the same problem.. Check for voltage on the Blue wire going into the ballast with the ignition in the Run position. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Racer57

You can run a jumper wire instead of ballast ? What am I missing ?!?   :notsure:

Bullitt-

Quote from: Racer57 on May 07, 2022, 07:48:47 PM
You can run a jumper wire instead of ballast ? What am I missing ?!?   :notsure:
On a stock setup I'd say only for testing or short runs in an emergency. 
As I understand it the stock coil will overheat without the ballast.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Dakota

This video does a pretty good job of explaining the role of the ballast resistor:

https://youtu.be/PCs5gAZBbxU