Main Menu

Ignition switch

Started by Ccuda, April 24, 2021, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Ignition switch schematic for 70 Cuda non rally dash shows 2 small red wires on end of connector. One wire is shown coming from the key buzzer and the other is coming from the Emergency flasher. Both red wires on mine are coming from the key in buzzer. My Emergency Flashers are shorting out and have blown the 20 amp fuse. Having a lot of trouble getting help around here after tracking down 4 experts who don't like to return calls or work on Mopars. Could really use some help.
Ccuda

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Ccuda   :welcome:

The 2 red wires at the end of the ignition switch are the key buzzer so if that is how you have yours are correct.  You can use an ohm meter to test it while it's installed in the car.  Start the video at 11:44.

https://youtu.be/49L2sIR9OYc?t=699

Cuda Cody

If you have a fuse that is popping then you most likely have a short somewhere.  For anyone to be able to help they would need a lot more info even to start guessing.  How long has it been happening, when did it start, has anything recently been replaced, when was the last time it worked correctly, has the cuda recently had anything else changed (i.e. full restoration, any wiring, radio, lights, wiring harnesses, ect), when does the fuse pop (as soon as you put it in even with the key off, as soon as you turn the key, or when you turn the flashers on? 

dodj

From the looks of it, with the fuse panel seperated, you are well on your way to taking lots of things apart?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

A guy named Jim of JS restorations i believe is somewhat in your area. he dose great electrical and switch work.  :alan2cents:

72RoadRunnerGTX

Quote from: Ccuda on April 24, 2021, 01:56:44 PM
All lights work including brake lights. Left front turnsignal didn't work so I put on the flashers. They slowed up to a crawl and then I noticed smoke from under the steering wheel.
This would indicate your short may be located at/in the left front turn/park lamp housing, disconnect it from the forward lighting harness, try again. Hate to suggest continuing with another smoke test but it sounds like access to the skillset necessary for further non-destructive troubleshooting may be a bit difficult. 

Cuda Cody

:iagree: I would suggest looking for a possible short.

Ccuda

Doj,  Really not my first choice. I'm 73 years old and moving under the dash and in weird positions is really difficult these days. Having a lot of trouble getting any help from garages around here. I'm really hopeful someone here on the forum can help. I'm grateful for the responses I've already gotten after my first post.
Ccuda

Ccuda

Thx Cody,  I coughed up more cash and bought a Power Probe 3 and the ect 3000 to help me out. Looks easy on the videos but there's a learning curve there also. Just got the ECT3000 yesterday and not being an electrician it's been a challenge to get going. I really appreciate your input and the input of your members here. Since I really love the car and since my last name is really "CUDA" I really want to get her on the road. Nothing like spending your savings on a car only to see it set undriveable in the garage for 2 months.
Ccuda

dodj

Quote from: Ccuda on April 25, 2021, 07:33:24 AM
Since I really love the car and since my last name is really "CUDA"
Is your first name....Cody?  It would get confusing on this forum..lol

I agree with 72 roadrunner. Unplug the non functional turn signal assy. (Not just the bulb).
You are also going to need a new e-flasher I suspect. But if you are handy with a meter you can chase down a ground with it instead of burning up more stuff.

Ya, I'm 57 and don't like working under the dash. I occasionally remove the seat to do it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Just to get some of this straight - in my mind at least...
The connector you are picturing is for the ignition. That's not the one you are concerned with regarding e-flashers. The other connector on the column will have your e-flasher wires. The Pink coloured wire is the one connected to the e-flasher unit.
In another post you mentioned disconnecting a black wire. The black wire is for the horn.
If it was me, if disconnecting the non-functioning front marker light did not stop your smoke issue, I would disconnect the front lighting connector from the B/H connector, and I would pull apart the rear body wiring connector behind the driver's side kick panel. This would remove all lighting from the flasher cct. When you activate your hazards nothing should happen. No flashing because there is no load on the flasher. BUT, hopefully, no smoke.
If you are smokeless, plug in the rear body wiring connector. Now when you activate the hazards, I'm thinking the tails will flash. If you get smoke, you need to chase down the wiring from the kick panel to the tails.
If everything is good, you have a short in your forward wiring harness. Can be annoying to find, but they usually occur at the light assys or connectors.

Ccuda

dodj,  that's the best advice yet my friend. I just got a new ignition lock cylinder and can't wait to get this car on the road. The black wire is not the horn wire but a smaller one that someone says was for the small light behind the key which I don't have anyway.  After I do my house chores today I'm going to tackle the wiring again with your recommendations. My Whole name is Carl Cuda and not Cody by the way. Thanks again for the recommendations and much appreciated.  I'll let you know later what I find. .
Ccuda