Main Menu

1971 Challenger 340 Alternator Alignment Question W/ Pics

Started by Daveh, October 31, 2018, 05:19:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Good eyes on the bracket being behind the alternator ear, I didn't see that. Not a small block guy either but pretty sure it should be on the outside of the alternator.
Sheldon

Daveh

Ok I'll try switching the bracket tonight and let you know.  Thanks

71vert340

All 3 of my small blocks have the bracket behind the ear of the alternator. The long spacer cannot fill in the gap between the alternator ears without the bracket in between with the spacer. A new spacer could be made or stack washers to fill in the gap left if the bracket is forward of the ear.  My 2 cents.
Terry

gzig5

Mine is mounted same as the OP's. I tried getting it to align better when I had the alternator bearings changed but would require bending brackets.  On mine at least, you can't put the bracket on the other side of the ear, the belt won't be close.  In my case, the belt mostly lines up, but the alt pulley is at an angle to the WP pulley which is how I thought he described his issue.  Don't have a better pic with me.

Shane Kelley

Here's some pictures of the correct configuration.

Daveh

OK since it looks like I have the brackets correct what are my options to correct this? 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Daveh on November 01, 2018, 10:01:27 AM
OK since it looks like I have the brackets correct what are my options to correct this?
From a birds eye view it looks like the rear spacer is to short. Measure your spacer lengths and I can see what mine are.

I have actually switch over to the billet brackets on the Cuda. I like them better with the adjustable heim joints. This set was polished and I stripped the clear off and powder coated textured black. Pretty nice set up. Something to consider.

Rich G.

Rich G.

Also I have a bracket that bolts to the head and the alt bolts to that bracket and not directly into the head.

Daveh

I called Bouchillon Performance where I purchased the entire kit with brackets and pulleys.  He said the bracket is identical to the stock bracket and have never had any issues with it.  He said the same thing that I mentioned was to elongate that bolt hole in the bracket and then weld a washer in the correct location.  Which I can do but it wasn't an issue with my old brackets and pulleys so I gotta think there is an easier fix.  Any other thoughts would be great.  Thanks

Rich G.

Did you match it up with the original bracket to see if the holes are in the same spot? If you only have to elongate the hole a little you probably won't even see that you did. If you have to move it a lot I'd weld the hole shut and then re drill it.

Cratos

I had to shim it to the rear with the aluminum WP housing PITA to get things lined up.