Main Menu

Cluster lights, fuel gauge not working

Started by 73TopBanana, November 24, 2020, 03:51:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73TopBanana

Hello all, the 73 Banana is back on the road after 28 months. So the fuel gauge(temp never worked) on a non-Rallye doesn't work. Also cluster lights and shifter lights do not work. Changed all the fuses and nothing improved. Any trouble shooting suggestions?
Thanks & be safe

dodj

For the lights, my first thought is the dimmer switch. Jumper it out and see if you have lights.
Fuel gauge, could be the ground at the sender? Could be the 5v regulator in the dash. Without the temp gauge working you can't rule out the regulator by having one gauge working
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

73TopBanana

Chryco Psycho

Check the wire in the trunk / at the sender for the pulsing 5 v to the fuel gauge if there is no voltage trace back to the kick panel , it could be the actual gauge is bad also .

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

73TopBanana

Hi dodj, how does one jumper out the dimmer switch?
Thank you

dodj

You take the connector off the back and install a wire between the two connections. I can't remember which two (it's a three blade connector) off hand. It's been a while since I've done that. I will have to go look at a dimmer from my parts box. Might be a day or two.

73TopBanana

Chryco Psycho

On the dimmer switch there should be a yellow wire possibly with a black tracer that is the ground for the dome light so you would connect the other 2 wires , one should be orange .

73TopBanana

dodj

If you take the connector off the dimmer there will be three colour wires coming of the back. The yellow is for grounding the dome lt as CP said. The other two need to be connected together. One terminal will have a black wire with a yellow tracer, the other wire will be tan. Jumper them together with a wire.

73TopBanana

Thanks DODJ, will work on it and let y'all know  :unitedstates: :canada: