Main Menu

All Dash lights stopped working

Started by 72 Challenger, July 12, 2018, 07:29:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Guys,

I went to the car show last night and all my dash lights stopped working. All of them worked before, radio and auto trans gear selector light included. I checked the fuse last night and it was good from a visual test. All the lights on the exterior work and the dome light works as well.

What are our thoughts? loose connector? where to look for a loose connection? Bad dash light dimmer switch?
Someday I will have a J0b.

Cuda Cody

You are talking about the light bar above the gauges only?

72 Challenger

Every interior light that would come on when you turn on the switch is now dark.

RUNCHARGER

It sure sounds like a fuse but perhaps a loose connection somewhere. I don't think the dash dimmer switch would effect the other lights. Oh wait, yes it could be the dash dimmer switch indeed.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

I would try changing the fuse first or put a probe to see if you have power.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

AH1S

just had the same problem. Check fuse. Than juice to switch. Turned out to be a bad dimmer switch.

CudaMoparRay

Yes, dimmers very often are the culprits.

72 Challenger

Will check the fuse again and the dimmer switch!

Is the dimmer switch easy to get to?

Racer57

Quote from: 72 Challenger on July 13, 2018, 04:30:23 AM
Is the dimmer switch easy to get to?
Yes, but with a lot of patience so that nothing gets scratched up. If you pull it, tape a piece of cardboard over the gauge side.

72 Challenger

Is this to protect the switch or to stop me from getting electrocuted? I rather disconnect the battery.

Anyone happen to know which fuse it is? I don't think it's the fuse as my dimmer switch never dimmed the lights. The lights would only work on the brightest setting on the dimmer. Anything below that they shut off.

RUNCHARGER

It's your dimmer then. Pull the battery cable before working on it. You will have to pull the switch out of the bezel, that is why you will have to protect the gauge bezel with tape. It's a tight wrestling match there.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

Sweet thanks @RUNCHARGER

I will add that to my list of Winter projects. I rarely drive at night and don't want to lose any summer driving time!

tdwnilla1

I'm not entirely sure if your cars wiring is the same as mine however, I just had a similar problem with my car and as a result of not catching it quick enough I ended up towing my car home at 3 A.M !!! Over this past winter I replaced a couple of burned wires at my bulkhead on the engine side but failed to replace the terminals on the inside of the car. My issue ended up being the female terminal on 18 finally melted after it had been arcing for a while due to poor connection. I was leaving a local beach car show and my dash lights all went out but the car was still running just not charging the battery as a result of this poor connection (wire to alternator). Like I said not sure if you have the same thing going on but just a thought.

Burdar

@72 Challenger send your original dimmer switch to JS Restorations to be restored.  Jim does great work and is an asset to the hobby.    Jim restores them to brand new condition.  He even might have some restored originals to sell outright...you'll have to ask him about that.  There are aftermarket dimmers available but they aren't worth messing with. Jim has posted pictures of them and they are cheaply built inside.