Main Menu

crimper tool

Started by tparker, November 05, 2022, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

For the amount of crimps I do, it seemed to work just fine  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

crackedback

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 22, 2022, 09:05:04 AM
@anlauto  crackedback has 4 links in his post. Is this the one you bought? it's the first link right after he wrote, " I have this crimper....".

The top two are examples of the one I have because I do weatherpacks which have a round seal held by the terminal.

The bottom two I posted are the same style jaws, BUT, lack the ability to do the weatherpack seals. 

If only doing the bulkhead, no seal required, the bottom two should work fine.  If you bought the top two, no big deal, they have the same jaws for the bulkhead terminals.  No harm in any of the choices, just the top two can do this type of connector efficiently.

Jay Bee

Following this because I plan on replacing the ignition switch connector and my current crimper is terrible. I'm debating on just using mine plus soldering, which I still might do even with a new crimper. Of course this all depends on ambition and physical flexibility come next spring.

crackedback

The open barrel crimpers will do those terminals.  No need for solder if done correctly.

dodj

Quote from: crackedback on November 23, 2022, 01:08:13 PM
No need for solder if done correctly.
Ya...solder not required.
The crimpers I posted did those style connectors perfectly. At least they did for me. Others apparently have had problems....Don't know how to explain it.  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

crackedback

Quote from: dodj on November 23, 2022, 04:08:26 PM
Quote from: crackedback on November 23, 2022, 01:08:13 PM
No need for solder if done correctly.
Ya...solder not required.
The crimpers I posted did those style connectors perfectly. At least they did for me. Others apparently have had problems....Don't know how to explain it.  :dunno:

I agree that set you posted will work and look nice.  I missed it earlier.  Could have saved myself some typing.  LOL   Lots of flavors in the open barrel crimpers out there.

I know someone that does the open barrel crimps with a set like in the second post in this thread.  He did one terminal and I did over 10 crimps using the correct tool by the time he was done.  Then I grabbed his termination and could move it out of the terminal without much force.   Mine, rock solid.   The toothed crimper is really for insulated and non insulated terminals that you fit the wire into a round opening/enclosure.  I use a set like that quite a bit as well on ring terminals and butt connectors. 

I compare this to using vise grips to remove bolts.  It can be done, but, there are better tools to do the job more efficiently and properly without tearing stuff up.