Main Menu

crimper tool

Started by tparker, November 05, 2022, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

one of my wires broke off the bulk head connector and I was trying to replace it with some new connectors and a crimper. I saw one pair for well over a hundred dollars that made me gasp. Some one said you can find them cheaper. I found some on amazon for a lot cheaper but they don't seem to work very well. They don't roll over the connector tangs and don't seem to work on the insulator part, I suspect I got the wrong crimpers. Any one know the name of these types of crimpers or better yet, a relatively cheap source for them.

These are the napa version that look similar to what I got, which doesn't work. Can any one confirm if they work?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_726603

mrwfp

I have never seen or used a crimper tool like the one you show.  Mine is over 60 years old and is similar to this one available at Lowes for about $17. You just have to use it correctly.  On the connector there will be what I call a top and a bottom. The bottom will be the side that the actual connector, either spade or female is on.  The bottom of the connector is where the point of the crimper goes while the top of the connector goes into the round channel of the crimper.  The top of the connector has a split in the center. The round part of the crimper will crush the two haves of the connector where it is split inside the plastic sleeve together.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

@mrwfp I have that one. Not sure if it will work for the spade connectors. Have you done it with those connectors? I'll check it out again.

@dodj I bought a very similar one off of amazon. Different company but probably made by the same factory, just labeled differently. That is the one I couldn't get to work. It doesn't roll over the tang and it doesn't have one that fits the part that wraps around the insulator. Were you able to make it work? Maybe I got a crappy one and should try this one.

mrwfp

I haven't had any issues with my crimpers.  I did notice though that a friend of mine was not able to crimp properly and it was because the connectors were not being placed correctly in the tool. He was placing them upside down so that the tooth of the crimper was crushing the split in the connector rather than the round part of the crimper folding the connector split over and securing the wire inside. The connector was also not centered properly in the tool.  It just takes a little practice to get the connector positioned correctly.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

dodj

Quote from: tparker on November 06, 2022, 09:23:37 AM
@mrwfp I have that one. Not sure if it will work for the spade connectors. Have you done it with those connectors? I'll check it out again.

@dodj I bought a very similar one off of amazon. Different company but probably made by the same factory, just labeled differently. That is the one I couldn't get to work. It doesn't roll over the tang and it doesn't have one that fits the part that wraps around the insulator. Were you able to make it work? Maybe I got a crappy one and should try this one.
Mine worked perfectly every time.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JonH

Don't bother with the cheap ones...these will do anything you need

Accel 170036

dodj

Quote from: tparker on November 06, 2022, 09:23:37 AM
That is the one I couldn't get to work. It doesn't roll over the tang and it doesn't have one that fits the part that wraps around the insulator.
The crimp jaws that crimp wire are the same type that crimps the insulation...just a different size. You crimp the wire, then move to the larger jaw for insulation. 1/2 of the crimper jaws are for the wire...the other half are for the insulation.
I use it for Deutsch connectors as well. So far perfect everytime. But now that I said that...probably screw up the next time.....

tparker

Thanks all. I was able to get it working with the crimpers I have (similar to dodj's one). It doesn't look nearly as nice as the original. Not sure if it is the tool, the connector, or the user. LOL. The wings don't fold over and bend like the original. There is no way to get them to do it with the set up I have. But I was able to bend it in a way that crimped it fairly securely. Also, none of the sizes are large enough for the insulator. Just doesn't physically fit. I used the tip to bend the tangs around the insulator, which seems to work just fine. I will play around with the crimpers mrwfp suggested as i have a pair. They are really wide so it might be tricky to work with.

Don't get these ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089LW7MWT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Thanks for the replies.

Dakota

Quote from: JonH on November 06, 2022, 10:37:30 AM
Don't bother with the cheap ones...these will do anything you need

Accel 170036

:iagree:

Maybe a little late to the dance if you've already gone things fixed, but this is an awesome tool.   See photos in the first thread (about half way down - August 1, 2019) and in an earlier post (July 14, 2018) in the same thread (2nd link).

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/70-challenger-going-plum-crazy/3743/msg168415#msg168415

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/70-challenger-going-plum-crazy/3743/30

crackedback

If the jaws on your crimper try to capture both sets of wings, no go.   Don't install the terminal with a poor crimp, bad news.

Unless the jaws are stepped for the wire being a smaller crimp and the insulation larger.

I use a crimper that does each crimp individually on the packard 56-58 terminals.

BIGSHCLUNK

I will admit I did not read every post here. That being said - I've had many wanna be crimpers over the years. The best one for factory style clips is the one I use now. Somewhere on this site I did a post on it. I HIGHLY recommend those. Worse come to worse I will snap a few picks and put them up later - I'm at the shop, crimper is in my garage.... 

BIGSHCLUNK

Thanks to Jay Bee, I figured if anybody could find it, it be you  :bradsthumb: