Main Menu

Cuda 3 speed wiper arms wont park correctly

Started by Meyer, November 14, 2020, 04:12:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ns1aar

The switch plate looks at least close to where it should be. Take the crank arm off the motor and post the part number and the number on the drive arm, the one that goes from the motor to the left wiper transmission. That will tells us what you have and what year it came from. 70-71 are the same and 72-74 are different.  Onec you have a baseline we can make it work.

Meyer

All part no are correct as i mentioned earlyer...

Its a 72-74 3 speed motor crankarm and link arm.

Meyer

Crank arm 3431518
3431 514 link arm
3431665 motor

Ns1aar

1. Remove both wiper arms.
2. Remove the linkage.
3. Check all the linkage bushings and pivots for wear.
4. Check the wiper arm pivots for wear they should be tight.
5. Make sure the motor is clocked per the diagram in a previous post.
6. With the motor installed run and park the motor.
7. Make sure the linkage and pivots are installed per the FSM, you should not have to force anything. If you don't have an FSM mymopar.com has it under resources.
8. With the linkage installed and the motor parked put a horizontal mark on each of the wiper arm pivots.
9. Run the motor and observe the marks to see how far they sweep and if they return to park.
10. If the wiper arm pivots sweep and park you should be able to install the arms and run the system.

Meyer

Pivots are tight no wear,no wear on linkage bushings.

But it still wont park the wipers on the stainless center

The motor runs all 3 speeds and off it reverse park.

anlauto

So you're saying that the wipers work on all speeds, when shut off they do that little reverse jog and go to the park position, but that position is too high ?

When the wipers are on full speed, how close do they come to the A pillar windshield trim ?

Maybe you have to reposition the wiper arms on the pivots ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

TGGodfrey

@Meyer Check the plate nipple is in the position like Jay posted.  your picture cut off the area we need to see.  If that is correct, then we need to check the wiper arm position on the wiper transmission.  To do that, turn your wipes on and see where they travel to at the top and bottom.  It is possible someone reassembled the arms in the wrong position but you need to check before you just move them.

Terry

Ns1aar

The linkage that goes between the two wiper transmissions has a tab on the end marked R,  make sure the tab is 90deg to the rest or the arm it can hit the pivot and stop the parking early

Meyer

I will post pictures of the arms ,where they are in park and highest on windshield

TGGodfrey

@Meyer We need to see the wiper at the highest position and the lowest position while running.  Park position we don't need to see (your description on that is good enough).  Getting that picture can be tough so what you can do is turn them on, watch where they stop going down and start going back up, mark that spot with a piece of masking tap or something and take a picture of that.

Meyer

Here is a picture of highest point anl lowest when running

Cuda Cody

Aren't the wiper arms splined?  Is it possible they are just in the wrong spot?  So they work fine, but maybe go to far over and not far enough down?  When they are parked can you push them all the way down to where they should be parked or are they parked and only move a little bit?

Meyer

I can push them over the stainless to where they should rest

moreparts

If your still having the problem I'll repeat what I said earlier up thread.  I think it could be part of your parking cam plastic that may be broken as I had a problem like this once too.  Pull the plate and look at that plastic cam behind it.  Cody posted a pic.  I believe the part that parks is at the 10 O'Clock position, but check for any breaks in general as my memory could be off.