Main Menu

Dash Harness Replacement in Place??

Started by chaps70rt, January 08, 2023, 08:06:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

Okay ..... so after two years of trying to source an intermittent short in my rallye harness (purchased used on eBay), I have decided to replace it with
new.   With this replacement all my wiring will then be new and not dealing with 50 year old potential issues.

My big concern is how to do this now that the windshield is back in.    Can it be done?   Has anyone out there done a harness replacement by just
removing the dash, ashtray, glove box???

OR ..... should I just resign myself to removing the glass again and removing the entire dash and dashpad???

I want to feel safe that I can take my car further than the 3 mile circle surrounding my house.... ridiculous.   Thanks ...... :canada:
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Skdmark

I would recommend to pull the dash. It can be done with the windshield in place.
I've done it a couple of times, including this past summer. Having a second set of hands is a plus.
1/4 inch flex drive and a mirror is handy to have onhand for reinstalling the screws along the windshield.

Helpful threads on it.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/any-tipssuggestions-on-installing-a-dash-wiring-harness/6524/msg91679#msg91679

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/dash-removal-in-the-words-of-alan/1472/
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

chaps70rt

Thank you ..... I really appreciate that.     That is encouraging ......   

I was aware of those screws and was wondering if the flex drive would suffice.

Starting the read through now!!!   

CHEERS!!! :cheers:
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

anlauto

For sure in can be done with some patience. I lay a mirror on the windshield to help :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Skdmark

Good lighting
Mirror that you can lay on the windshield
Flexible drive - I'll use this by hand to get the bolts started before connecting to ratchet

Also helpful
Small pair of hands - easier to get bolts started due to tight space. My teenage daughter was a great help.
Telescoping magnet - in the event you drop a bolt
Wobble extension - alternative to flex drive / may not work on all locations
Autobody hook / picks - helpful in getting u-nuts lined up under dash frame holes.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

FE5CUDA

Just did one for a customer to install an NOS rallye harness he had, piece of cake and DIDN'T take the dash out.  Remove the column and dash cluster then have at it.

FE5CUDA

Quote from: FE5CUDA on January 10, 2023, 02:14:23 AM
Just did one for a customer to install an NOS rallye harness he had, piece of cake and DIDN'T take the dash out.  Remove the column ashtray and dash cluster then have at it.

Claudia

:alan2cents: Windshield does not need to be removed to install a new dash wiring harness . . . I would think it would be easier to just pull the dash out of the car, install the new replacement dash harness and then reinstall the dash assembly back in the car.

Zshowket

I replaced my dash harness with dash in place.  Pulled both front seats, and gauges.  Started on passengers side and as I plugged in the new harness I cut out the old, just plugged each in 1 step at a time. 

hemi135

I just replaced my dash harness last week.  The rally harness for my 70 Cuda was like yours, a destructive mess of 53 years of butchery from previous owners and just plain old wiring was skeptical at best.  Always best to go new whatever choice you make, oem type harness or modified.  I found the M&H harnesses were spot on OEM and super easy to follow with a factory wiring diagram.  I found it much easier to pull the entire dash out and bench it and yes my windshield is in.  Two reasons, easier on the back even though you'll still have to do some once back in and two, you can restore the entire dash if need be and much easier to do outside the vehicle.  The reinstall wasn't too bad but yeah an extra pair of hands made is easier for pressure against it to get the 4 bolts in along the windshield.  This led to a steering column rebuild now and a few other things to renew life back into the dash and interior comfort of the entire thing.  Good luck and take your time is the best advice.  I would try not to cut anything too when removing the old because you may need something later, just saying.  Having a wiring diagram is essential too:)

chaps70rt

Thanks for the insight.    At my age, making it easier on the back is key.

May start removing some parts today to make life easier and put this behind me.

Cheers!!
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi