Main Menu

Where is the best place for ground - Dash (-)

Started by chaps70rt, November 06, 2023, 06:05:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

I have my new M&H harness installed and during the process I swapped out the Ammeter for the Volt Meter.

Took the (-) off the back of the dash housing.    New Volt meter not working.   

I know they suggest going back to the battery, but there must be a connection at the back of the dash for (-) in the harness or can I simply
take a wire and spade connection to the firewall?    Or, is there a better way??
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Katfish

I put together terminal with several leads, bolt to dash frame and tie everything into it.

chaps70rt

Okay .... that makes sense.  The negative post of the battery goes to block and body.    Therefore the  dash frame has to be grounded.

I was hoping that there was a connection in the back of the harness that had a ground?
70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

chargerdon

the dash frame is bolted to the A pillar on both sides which is part of the entire car structure.   Therefore, the dash frame itself IS grounded.   If not none of the gauges would work !!     If your using the dash frame for ground, make sure your wire is on bare frame and not paint !!    To verify this take a multimeter...set it on the ohms setting and one lead to a bare spot on the dash, and the other to the frame of the car...you can even put it on one of the screws on the sill plate of your door, or the door switch nut...   You should see a reading.   

Skdmark

Quote from: chargerdon on November 06, 2023, 01:06:04 PM
the dash frame is bolted to the A pillar on both sides which is part of the entire car structure.   Therefore, the dash frame itself IS grounded.   If not none of the gauges would work !!     If your using the dash frame for ground, make sure your wire is on bare frame and not paint !!    To verify this take a multimeter...set it on the ohms setting and one lead to a bare spot on the dash, and the other to the frame of the car...you can even put it on one of the screws on the sill plate of your door, or the door switch nut...   You should see a reading.

:iagree:
When I swapped my ammeter for voltmeter, I ran a lead wire with a pair of ring terminals from the negative post on the voltmeter to the dashframe near the radio. No issues.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

chaps70rt

70 Challenger R/T
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi