Main Menu

DUMB Electrical question of the day....

Started by anlauto, September 12, 2021, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

If I wanted to add Sirius XM radio to an old classic car, and the only power adaptor source the unit comes with plugs into a cigarette lighter...

Does that mean I would need a lighter in the car, or could I cut off the "plug" and hook it to a direct 12V source ?

What do you think ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Knowing your work ethic.  The lighter will be working and keep the power source ORIGINAL,!

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RJChallenger

There are 2 connections being made, one  + and - , If you open up the adapter you can connect two wires thus removing the spring loaded connections and utilizing all the electronics of the adapter.  then you can select constant power or switched at the fuse box.

anlauto

Quote from: Bullitt- on September 12, 2021, 06:51:38 PM
I'm going to say NO due to the specified output of the adapter is 5V  https://shop.siriusxm.com/vehicle-power-adapter-with-powerconnect-reconditioned.html

I suggest you could mount another lighter receptacle behind the dash.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HOTBEST-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Power-Adapter-Multi-Splitter-Outlet-Plug-with-USB-Port-Replaceable-Fast-Car-Charger-On-Off-Switches/898565480

Thank you Bullitt .....I was just reading the same specifications regarding the 5V, I guess they call it "an adaptor" for a reason... :headbang:  told you it was a dumb question... :drunk:

I do like the lighter receptacle thing from Walmart you posted...I was picturing mounting the factory metal thing somewhere, didn't seam like a safe way of doing things...
The Sirius unit I was looking at is small enough, only 4" X 2.6", I was thinking about mounting it in the ashtray....Make a nice mount, so when you pull open the ashtray, it's right there accessible, but you'd want to hide all the wires...and I'm already planning on using the existing lighter hole for the Dakota Digital control switch like in my last project....but I could easily find a place for the Walmart piece :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

anlauto

Something like this would work too :thinking:  fused is a nice option

rjhjr