Main Menu

Factory floor /console mounted cassette question

Started by Skdmark, March 14, 2021, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mccannix

You could contact these guys...they do excellent work.
I know they did a few cassette players for customers much along the lines of what you are thinking
https://classiccarradiorestoration.com/

Cudino

Quote from: mccannix on March 24, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
This a picture @71vert340 posted once of his factory 4 speed floor mounted cassette player.
Kinda looks like the base and bracket on the right with the longer right leg.
Hoping he'll chime in here.
Wade..thanks for that info....your E-body had had the long right leg, my B-body had it as well, both 4 speed humps being the same ...
Here's a picture of mine, a '71 Ebody 4speed non-console with AM Radio+Cassette Code R26.  Looks just like the setup in 71vert340's pic. 

Funny to think about the non-console auto version.  This would mean somebody would order his car with column-shift auto, and maybe even a bench seat, and wouldn't want the console but would still be OK with the cassette deck mounted there.  That would have to be a pretty rare combo.  The only car I can think of in this configuration is the Zach Reynolds '71 Hemicuda, which is coded for R36 (AM/FM/Cassette) but with non-console auto.  I can't find any good interior pics of that car, but I'll see what I can come up with.  Will be interesting to see how the cassette is mounted in that car.

- Wade

mccannix

Great photo !....I agree a picture of the one in the Reynolds Hemicuda would be nice.
I believe the E-body AM only radio with cassette lead is rarer, or seen less than the AM/FM radio with cassette lead.
Even rarer is the 71 Dart AM radio with cassette lead.
I had one of those once, was talking to Greg Ward and he told me it was super rare, being Dart only, seldom seen.

71vert340

Quote from: mccannix on March 24, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
This a picture @71vert340 posted once of his factory 4 speed floor mounted cassette player.
Kinda looks like the base and bracket on the right with the longer right leg.
Hoping he'll chime in here.
Wade..thanks for that info....your E-body had had the long right leg, my B-body had it as well, both 4 speed humps being the same ...

Mine is the AM radio/Stereo Cassette. I always assumed it was mounted to the passenger side of hump so it would be easier to reach being out of the way of the shifter and easier for the passenger to operate.
Terry W.

anlauto

The ol' Barrelcuda was an AM with cassette, when I ask the original owner why he ordered it like that...the answer was simple....he said there was no FM stations in Newfoundland at the time  :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudino

Quote from: mccannix on March 24, 2021, 12:37:06 PM
Great photo !....I agree a picture of the one in the Reynolds Hemicuda would be nice.
Hi @mccannix and All,
Here's a pic of the R36 cassette deck in the Reynolds '71 Hemicuda, Survivor Auto with bench seat and no console.  Interestingly it also uses the same base and shroud with the longer right leg like we've seen on the 4-speeds.
- Wade

mccannix

Great detective work Wade....I have never seen that picture before, obviously has the longer right leg.
So the plot thickens, perhaps it is an E/B verses A/C thing :notsure:

Cudino

Quote from: mccannix on April 08, 2021, 05:44:22 AM
Great detective work Wade....I have never seen that picture before, obviously has the longer right leg.
So the plot thickens, perhaps it is an E/B verses A/C thing :notsure:
Thanks!  And yep, it does look like an E/B vs. A/C thing, although with an application this rare of course it's hard to say how consistent the factory was.

FYI this picture is "hot-off-the-presses" as they say, so you wouldn't have seen it before.  And here's a second shot as well, at a slightly different angle.  In this second pic another interesting thing to note is the sliced opening/cutout in the carpet.  I expect this has to be original, but I wonder why that was done?  For ease of installation of this bracket perhaps?

- Wade

Shane Kelley

Here's a couple pics of the Reynolds Hemi Cuda cassette.