Main Menu

Fit question on dash center speaker cover

Started by Dakota, July 01, 2018, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I've started assembling the dash for my 70 Challenger.   The cover which came with the car for the center dash speaker has a bit of a crown to it such that it doesn't lay flush on the edge facing windshield.  This cover has the proper different length "legs".  The dash pad is new.  I've tried reshaping the speaker cover with a heat gun and some weights but there's been no subtlstantial change in shape yet.   I may be able to flatten things a bit with the cover mounting screws but I don't think that will do enough.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with dash pad shape or the speaker cover.  Thoughts?

Brads70

If I remember right ( It's been 8 years or so?) I had to trim the feet down on the plastic speaker cover to get it to sit flush.

Chryco Psycho

The new cover on the dash maybe distorting the grille so it will nto sit flush or the thickness is wrong so the feet on the grille are too long now

Dakota

Quote from: Brads70 on July 01, 2018, 11:24:12 AM
If I remember right ( It's been 8 years or so?) I had to trim the feet down on the plastic speaker cover to get it to sit flush.

@Brads70 - I believe the only cover available for purchase now has equal length legs on each corner which is correct for 71-74, so maybe the cover you modified to fit your 70 was one of these?   Here's a side view of the one I have that shows the leg height difference.

Dakota

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 01, 2018, 11:25:59 AM
The new cover on the dash maybe distorting the grille so it will nto sit flush or the thickness is wrong so the feet on the grille are too long now

I'll check with the folks at Roseville to see if this arching is normal.  This shape looks intentional.  Modifying the pad might be the only option along with some trimming as Brad suggests. 

blown motor

When I replaced the dash pad and speaker cover I had to trim the covering and foam off to get the speaker leg to sit right down on the steel frame. I think I also trimmed the legs a bit as needed.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel