Main Menu

Fuel Sending Unit

Started by 7212Mopar, October 08, 2020, 09:46:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

7 mpg will be all city stop and go, mostly easy on the pedal. Good news is I never see less than 7. If all freeway driving around 70 mph, I get around 12 mpg with 3.23 gear, 416 stroker. Like others said, it is smiles per gallon but I don't mine if gas mileage is better.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7212Mopar

Got a chance to work on the car today and installed the Meter Match unit. I cut the blue wire before the connector at the kick panel and wired to the MMU with some wire pigtails. I have a spare fuel sender that I previously removed and I used it for the calibration setup. The resistance at both ends are essentially the same with the sender I mounted at the tank. Followed the instruction and set F and E ends first and then at about 3/4 F and at 1/4 to E. I used all four input points. Seems like the MMU slow down the needle some but it responds to the arm movement nicely. Since I have the electronic instrument voltage regulator installed I do not need to set automatic voltage adjustment. All wiring and the MMU are hidden behind the kick panel inside the body cavity easily to get access if needed.

I filled the tank up and the gauge reads slightly passed F. I then drove about 37 miles of city and a little highway and the gauge reads just a hair before 3/4 tank. Base on my mileage it should be around 4 gallons, thus so far fairly accurate. Before this, my gauge would read a little pass 1/2 tank. I will track the mileage and see how accurate the gauge read full range. Good thing is it is adjustable now. Kind of have a feeling that likely I don't need to make further adjustment.

If you don't like how your fuel gauge behave and can't find a NOS unit, give this a try.

gzig5

Quote from: Cratos on October 13, 2020, 10:03:24 AM
i have two from tanks Inc neither reads correct in the tank but reads right out of the tank ? with 10 gallons it reads 1/8 tank or less both are the same tried 2nd ground still no joy so I put the 5/16 one back in and it reads correct. go figure. :unitedstates:
I think the problem with the aftermarket ones is that the resistor is wound linearly.  That would be fine for a rectangular tank that is setting level.  Our tanks are kind of wedge shaped and not sitting level, so in the vertical domain they can't be linear. The volume of one inch worth of gas when there is a 1/4 tank is a lot different than the top one inch when the tank is near full.   :alan2cents:

7212Mopar

In my earlier post, I checked the repro sender resistance at various positions and they are not linear. I think the problem is that  the resistance output do not match the factory fuel gauge. May be the age of the fuel gauge and wiring has something to do with it. I no longer have the factory sender so can't compare ohm readings between factory and repro units. If someone has the factory unit and do the test, they can publish the results in the reference section of the forum for others to reference. Another Cody project?

Scooter

^^^ Thanks for reporting back. My FSU is consistently off so I think one of these inline will do the trick.

:bigthumb: