Main Menu

fuse box delema

Started by Cratos, July 30, 2020, 07:35:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cratos

1970 Rt has about 1000 miles since complete restore including all new wire harnesses inside and out, as of this week the acc side of the fuse box is dead! Test light checks out  I have power coming out of the ignition switch harness ( fat black wire ) but not at the fuse box?? pulled box loose wire is connected but dead.
Any Ideas ??

70rag383

Do you have any extra accessories like electric fans? I ran into similar problem. My 70 R/T died after 5000 miles after the restoration. the red wire going into the bulkhead connector became so hot carrying too many amps because of the electric fans I was running. The connection became corroded over time. I cleaned the connection and everything back to normal. Now I have to run a bypass from the alt to the starter relay to reduce the amps running through the bulkhead connector.

dodj

There is a fusible link on the red wire feeding the fuse box on my 73. Not sure if it is also there on 70s.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cratos

looks like it is the ignition switch acc works but nothing in run guess its time to put the tilt column in.

Chryco Psycho

that is one way to solve it !

Cratos

I Found out (after hours contorted under the dash AGAIN) that the black feed wire at the inside of the fuse box was the culprit I was wiggling the main harness and the test light would come on and off. Pulled the fuse box out again and did not see anything looking loose?? Wire seamed tight ( not much you can move around with the x keeper  but I could get it to go on and off ( test light) so I used needle nose plyers to squeeze the female connector on the spade on the buss bar  and now I have power again!!!!
All the wiring and fuse box was new, so I do not understand why @ 800 miles it worked its way loose. Just my buddy Murphy I guess as usual the car lives up to its name GRINCH.

Chryco Psycho

Glad you located the issue , right where I thought it would be .
I know Murphy too well !!

Cratos

I also did the alt to battery buy pass wire to relieve the load on the fuse box and got brighter headlights out of it :)