Main Menu

Harness meltdown?

Started by Spikedog08, March 04, 2023, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So tearing into the dash on the convertible for a rallye conversion and low and behold . . . This is what I find!   I guess I'm surprised everything worked?   Looks like a major meltdown on the main harness . .   :headbang:  :bricks:  :Thud:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Filthy Filbert

Yikes.   Good find.

I got pulled over about a year ago, just before sunup.  Deputy walked up and barked "turn your lights on!!"   I looked at him confused and said 'they are on?'   He looked at front and said 'ok. I see that... but you don't have any rear lighting".

Turns out that at some point the spare tire was loose and swaying and smashed the harness.  Wore a hole into all the insulation and multiple wires shorted out. Strange that it didn't blow any fuses or anything.   

That night I resolved all the wires in the rear harness and everything was working again.   

Moral of story:   Wire harness issues are annoying

Chryco Psycho

As usual the alt wires to the ammeter probably got hot from resistance which is why the alt bypass to the start relay is a really good idea .

Katfish

Hard to see, is there actually anything wrong with the wires?
Looks like the tape just split, if so, not surprised after 50 yrs.

moparroy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 04, 2023, 11:43:38 PM
As usual the alt wires to the ammeter probably got hot from resistance which is why the alt bypass to the start relay is a really good idea .
Yea possibility. If that is what the harness looks like - what do the bulkhead connectors look like? This usually starts in the connectors.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Katfish on March 05, 2023, 02:58:52 AM
Hard to see, is there actually anything wrong with the wires?
Looks like the tape just split, if so, not surprised after 50 yrs.

No it is more than just a split in the wiring wrap . .  I am installing a rallye gauge cluster so this should help the situation.  Appears that all the repo harnesses are on back order . . Figures.  :pullinghair:  I will definitely need help with this procedure . . Thank god for this site!   :clapping:

Spikedog08

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 04, 2023, 11:43:38 PM

That sounds like a plan . . But have no idea how to accomplish this task.  Will be learning here for sure!  Wiring is definitely not my strong area of these amazing cars!

Dakota

I have a guide from MAD Electronics on how to do the bypass.  If you want a copy, PM me a mailing address for a paper copy or an email address for a scanned copy.  It worked pretty well for me.  Happy to talk you through it as needed.

Also, take a look at this thread for some good info on routing the wiring:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/alternator-bypass-wire-routing/18432/

Amen on the value of this site.  As I've said and written dozens of times, I would never have been able to get my car on the road without the help of members here, which were also on that "other site" before e-bodies.org existed. 

torredcuda

You just need to add a jumper wire from alternator to battery, it has been discussed here recently.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

chargerdon

yes and at least 10 gauge...   just remember when you do the amp gauge will be very inaccurate

71vert340

I showed my 72 Challenger harness at bulkhead connector melted wires here a couple of weeks ago.
Terry W.

Spikedog08

So I have been looking for a new harness for the rallye gauge cluster I am wanting to install and appears they are all on back order . . anyone have any idea when they will become available?   I have a pretty good used one but still 50 years old . .  :unbelievable:

Jay Bee

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 05, 2023, 08:06:19 AM
I am installing a rallye gauge cluster so this should help the situation.  Appears that all the repo harnesses are on back order . I will definitely need help with this procedure .

Before "tearing into" it you could do some pre-work by running wires for the tach if they're not already present. There's one in the engine bay and the interior. You might end up having to use your "pretty good used" harness because of the backorder issue. Why not start a conversion thread so that whatever help the board could offer will be in one place, just a thought. I did this to my car also. The pictures have some unrelated info edited out (click on to enlarge).

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 06, 2023, 09:02:54 AM
Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 05, 2023, 08:06:19 AM
I am installing a rallye gauge cluster so this should help the situation.  Appears that all the repo harnesses are on back order . I will definitely need help with this procedure .

Before "tearing into" it you could do some pre-work by running wires for the tach if they're not already present. There's one in the engine bay and the interior. You might end up having to use your "pretty good used" harness because of the backorder issue. Why not start a conversion thread so that whatever help the board could offer will be in one place, just a thought. I did this to my car also. The pictures have some unrelated info edited out (click on to enlarge).

Thank you for the info @Jay Bee  . . I have already tore into it and that is how I discovered the meltdown.   I hope to have the dash out this week.    I am waiting on Dave from Roseville with an update on when he thinks the harness will be available.   I can be patient for a bit but still want this complete by spring.   

71340RT

I had my 71 Challenger RT do something like this about 6 years ago. I did the wire from the alternator to the battery after this and changed out the dash harness. I never even took the dash out of the car just the gauge cluster and switch panel.
1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto