Main Menu

headlights not working

Started by cuda hunter, April 30, 2020, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

67 barracuda.

I had a halo kit put into the car.  Worked fine for maybe 100 miles.
Now the lights won't come on.  Halo's work fine, parking lights work fine tail lights work fine blinkers work fine.
No fuses are blown.  No parasitic draw on battery when the car is off.
checked several grounds and they appear fine, loosened and re tightened. 

Battery shows 12.59 not running. 
When this happened my battery died and I lost all lights on the ride home.  Jumped it and it drove home.
car in off position I get 10.5 amps at rear of altenator. car running I get 20 at rear of altenator. 

I unplugged the 3 prong for the headlight and I get nothing from that. 
Would this be a headlight switch problem?  Even though parking lights and halo's work?  Brights switch on floor?
How would I test the headlight switch and what amperage from where should I be getting?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Not sure of the brand. As it appears it is only wired into the one set of wires in the picture.
The red/black and green/white combo's come from the relay and control the halo.
The main headlight section is the same lines that would go to a regular headlight 3 prong.

the shop that installed this didn't give me any info on the set up.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

@cuda hunter  Definitely check the dimmer switch. you can jump the wire to test. 14.2 is ideal voltage at the battery. Check the voltage regulator for ground.  :alan2cents:   

cuda hunter

I had not checked the voltage regulator for ground.  Will try that.  It has acted up in the past. 

JS29

cuda hunter

ground is fine on the VR.

Which two wires would I jump together on the dimmer switch?  red and green? Do I have to ground the black at the same time?

cuda hunter

Why would I get a reading of 20 amps at the rear of the alt on the main stud.  I thought it was supposed to be 13 or so from the battery. 

cuda hunter

So on the headlight switch.
engine off, lights off.
Black wire shows 12.20 and two pinks show 12.20
engine off lights turned on I get 11.2 on the double pinks,12 on the black,10 on the brown
engine on lights on I get 12 on the black, 10.5 on the pinks, 10.5 on the brown and 10.5 on the yellow and black combo.

All this with nothing coming through the dimmer switch.  I am not getting any readings off the dimmer switch.

JS29

OK you could take the alternator and VR to a parts store for testing. I think at the big wire you get full voltage. Then the VR dictates how much it wants. You should have power to one wire at the dimmer switch, If i remember correctly you jump from power to one wire to activate lo beams then put the power to the other and you get hi beam. If no power at the plug, I would suspect the heal light switch.  :alan2cents:

JS29

@cuda hunter     On the scent picture, left lower terminal, Is that a broken wire i see!    :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

No, it's not broken, just a little funky as the wire casing has peeled back a little bit.  I thought the same thing. 

cuda hunter

Ok, so I disconnected the negative battery cable, disconnected the main stud on the rear of the alternator. 
connected my vantage multimeter to the negative battery cable and the main line to the alternator. 
It appeared to have no resistance.  0.00.  Then I wiggled the bulk head and got 2. - 11.  (assuming amps).  Then it went away and I couldn't get it to do it again.  I took apart the middle bulkhead connector to find this black larger gauge wire fried.
the bulkhead does not appear to be damaged and there appears to be enough wire for me to reconnect these together.

Anyone have anything to say about this?  Should I go ahead and reconnect them? 

Chryco Psycho

Sure clean it up & reconnect the wires . Are you using realys , if not now is the time , this removes all of the load from the bulkhead plug dimmer switch & headlight switch , the center terminal on the dimmer is power in , Green IIrc , the red & purple go out the the headlights

cuda hunter

Thanks Neil, that's what I needed to hear (or read). 
So If I put it back together, whatever caused the issue in the first place is still there.
Would that be the voltage regulator since I'm getting 20 volts to the back of the alternator? 
Replace the Voltage regulator then? 

Chryco Psycho

Not sure hwy you have 20v it could be a problem with the alternator more then the reg but either could be the culprit