Main Menu

Headlights going out

Started by Ramcharger32348, July 02, 2017, 09:23:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Slotts

Quote from: Ramcharger32348 on July 05, 2017, 03:48:48 PM
I put in the relay and it seems to work just fine.  I put a fused line (30 amp but put in a 15 to start) to the relay.  Removed power lead at dimmer and ran it to the relay and back. wha la   simple fix.  thanks for all the imput.

I would highly recommend that you remove any sort of fused wiring in the circuit for your headlights. That's why stock 2947305 headlight switches had an internal 20 amp circuit breaker that could re-trigger, giving someone at least a chance of the headlights coming back on while driving at night. A fuse? Not so much...

The use of some sort of circuit breaker protection is certainly a good idea between the relay output and headlight dimmer foot switch.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Slotts on July 05, 2017, 04:06:11 PM
Quote from: Ramcharger32348 on July 05, 2017, 03:48:48 PM
I put in the relay and it seems to work just fine.  I put a fused line (30 amp but put in a 15 to start) to the relay.  Removed power lead at dimmer and ran it to the relay and back. wha la   simple fix.  thanks for all the imput.

I would highly recommend that you remove any sort of fused wiring in the circuit for your headlights. That's why stock 2947305 headlight switches had an internal 20 amp circuit breaker that could re-trigger, giving someone at least a chance of the headlights coming back on while driving at night. A fuse? Not so much...

The use of some sort of circuit breaker protection is certainly a good idea between the relay output and headlight dimmer foot switch.

Jim

I agree lose the fuse, use a circuit breaker.... But I still don't agree with putting the relay where you've chosen...  But it's your car so do what you want...