Main Menu

HELP !!! I need help please

Started by anlauto, February 26, 2021, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay, so I've spent hours modifying the factory dash harness to install my E-Stopp, my Vintage Air system, my Dakota Digital dash....NOW I'M STUCK on the 392 crate Hemi wiring....There are two wires I'm not sure where to hook up.
Please see the 392 instructions for the two wires in concern....I underlined them in red/blue. Then take a look at what options in the factory harness that I have....The blue and brown wires from the ignition and the yellow wire that goes to the starter rely.... Which wire would be which?

@Chryco Psycho  @303 Mopar @GoodysGotaCuda and everybody else .....I could really use some expertise here  :please:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chryco Psycho

:haha:
I remember years ago when I did the swap in Dans Cuda I took the supplied conversion wire harness apart & removed about 25% of the wires , Dan was freaking out thinking if I screwed up who could he possibly get to sort it out correctly & how much would that cost !!
Of course I didn't screw up & it worked perfectly & still does .

anlauto

So can you shed some light on these two wires in question ? I would like to hear from everybody before I blow things up  :clueless:

Is Sheldon on the right track ?

SRT392

above my paygrade also... FOLLOWING INTENTLY....   will ask you for help also...

Skdmark

Have some of this on hand, just in case.
I was thinking something along the lines of what Sheldon suggested.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Ek2aar

Thw underlined red goes to the brown and the underlined blue goes to the blue. The yellow is the ground that is going through the nuetral safety and then to the starter relay.

Ebody Edgar

Ek2 is correct.  My compliments to the technical info you provided to get the answer to the question.
How are you connecting those wires? As i have no idea i will provide the following:
Be sure you have plenty of grounds. The engine should be grounded in at a least 4 places with one being the case of the alternator. There should be a bulkhead bypass for the alternator wiring. That splits the current thru the bulk head. In reality the large red and black wires should be removed from the engine harness/dash harness and directly pass thru the firewall and be reconnected on the other end, but still install the the bypass wire.
At minimum i would use solder shrink butt spices protected with shrink tubing. Shrink tubing comes in colors, sizes and varying shrink ratios. 2:1 4:1 etc

Rather than solder shrink butt splices I would be soldering the wires together in the correct fashion  and protecting the solder joint with 2 layers of shrink wrap with overlapping ends.
Be sure to neatly bundle the wiring, properly secure the wires to the car  and protect it using harness wrapp tape and conduit. Do not use electrical tape.  I may have worked with NASA....
There are great places on the web for supplies
https://www.wiringproducts.com/
https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/
https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1453/Wire-Cable/

dodj

Agreed

LB/TN to ebody harness brown
PK to ebody harness blue and brown together.

The ebody starter relay ground yellow wire will depend on what trans you are running. Clutch pedal switch for four spd or nss for auto. (not really part of your question but you had it circled.)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

If you look at my first picture, the next wire under the blue underlined wire is DG/OG "clutch interlock wire.  My Tremec 5spd has a neutral safety switch on the tail shaft for this purpose. It has two wires, one goes to a solid ground, when in neutral, the switch completes the circuit and sends a ground....

That's what I'm hooking up to the DG/OG wire. The car should then have to be in neutral to start. :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

The new 392 crate harness, has the starter power wire and the starter solenoid wire as part of the engine harness. It makes no mention of the factory  starter relay that mounts on the inner fender, so I figured I could eliminate that altogether and the new harness will take care of it's purpose :thinking:

The "yellow" wire I have circled in my second picture, comes from the ignition switch in the column, directly out through the bulkhead and to the starter relay. I don't know when it "has power" ??? Does it have power at all ??? or does it take the ground from the transmission and send it back to the ignition switch ? 

Ek2aar

Quote from: anlauto on February 27, 2021, 05:06:27 AM
If you look at my first picture, the next wire under the blue underlined wire is DG/OG "clutch interlock wire.  My Tremec 5spd has a neutral safety switch on the tail shaft for this purpose. It has two wires, one goes to a solid ground, when in neutral, the switch completes the circuit and sends a

That's what I'm hooking up to the DG/OG wire. The car should then have to be in neutral to start. :fingerscrossed:

Yes, that is correct

anlauto

PLEASE keep the answers coming....so far we have three completely different ways of wiring it up......and a jar of smoke, which I'm trying to avoid  :haha: :haha:

Ek2aar

I do not  think some people are realizing that it is a 392 conversion and you are not going to be using the factory starter relay and no more ballast resistor for the ignition. Correct?