Main Menu

Ignition Switch - Numbers??

Started by PatO, January 05, 2019, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

I'm working on rebuilding/restoring my steering column.  Thanx to cuda cody and his videos I felt comfortable in tackling this.

I've attached a pic of the ignition switch out of my steering column.  As you can see it suffers from the red wire burnout syndrome. The connection had been jumpered and the switch worked fine for me the few times I drove the car before the restoration started. (the key cylinder is a different matter)  The column is one for a floor shift without tilt or telescope.

According to my 72 parts book the switch part number is 2947 488.  the part number on the switch I have is 3488 573.  ??  The date codes on some of the steering column parts are late November of 71 or January of 72.

I'm not sure if the switch is original or  not. That part of the column was VERY dirty with old hard grease every where.  I guess my question is if there are various part numbers for the ignition switch that will work?  Can my switch be repaired or do I run the risk of a problem due to a short in the circuit years ago?   :huh:

Thanx for any insight.

Cuda Cody

Common part that works across lots of other applications.  Easy part to replace now and they are not super expensive either.  @MoparDave  sells factory ones and he'll give you a good deal on it.  Better to replace it now and know it's not going to be an issue.  :alan2cents:  I'm not a big fan of using old wiring on these cars, but many people do it and tel me they do not have any issues.

PatO

Good, Thanx for the information!

I'll be shopping for a bit more than just the ignition switch.  My column had been apart before, it didn't even have the lower bearing? :rubeyes:

anlauto

Quote from: PatO on January 05, 2019, 06:14:50 PM
Good, Thanx for the information!

I'll be shopping for a bit more than just the ignition switch.  My column had been apart before, it didn't even have the lower bearing? :rubeyes:

There is no lower "bearing" it's really just a plastic collar. 

The replacement switch is Standard Motor Products US88 runs around $28-$65
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

There is a lower brg that can be added tho but it was never there from the factory  :alan2cents:
definately install a new switch

Topcat

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 05, 2019, 07:34:46 PM
There is a lower brg that can be added tho but it was never there from the factory  :alan2cents:

@72bluNblu did a major contribution years ago.

The go cart bearing on the steering column.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=91398.75

anlauto

An A or B body lower bearing fits with no issues, but E Bodies never had one :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PatO

OK!  Thanx for setting me straight on that, I confused myself with the various diagrams and models.  Saves me a little bit of money too.