Main Menu

LED Headlamp Headlight Conversion (Hella H4 165mm) 7" Round

Started by MoparCarGuy, November 30, 2023, 03:25:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

LED Headlamp/Headlight Conversion

I originally had planned to install relays to improve the voltage to the existing halogen headlamps and remove the load from the factory wiring. After doing some research it became apparent that I could get a better result from going to LED headlamps with no additional wiring.

I chose to go with Hella H4 glass housings and Auxito H4 LED 6500K bulbs. Some of the improvements with this setup are a modern cutoff line and pattern, whiter light (6500K), and replaceable bulbs in glass housings. I also decided to install the ceramic harness extenders but others have said they are not really necessary with LED bulbs versus normal (and hot) H4 bulbs that come in the Hella conversion kit below.

I considered the Holley RetroBrights but the price per headlamp was over $200. Holley has a great product which offers two different colors (3000K & 5700K) and makes your swap plug-and-play but the price is about twice as much. Another consideration was Holley's lumen output per lamp is much lower at 2000lm (Low Beam) / 3000lm (High Beam) than the Auxito LED bulbs. Auxito specs 6000/7500 lumens per bulb. Lumen ratings are sketchy as manufacturer's test differently and many make unrealistic claims but the Auxito bulb output as installed is unbelievable. So much so that I purchased Auxito LEDs for both of our daily drivers.

HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE) (2 housings with H4 bulbs) About $100
AUXITO H4 LED Bulbs, 15000LM Per Set 400% Brighter 9003 HB2 Lights 6500K Cool White for Halogen Replacement, Plug and Play, Pack of 2. <$50
Optional: Audak 2Pcs H4 9003 HB2 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets Male & Female Connector For Headlights <$10

I did have to cut/modify the rubber boots from Hella to work with the LEDs but it was not difficult (see pics).
There is one negative with the H4 glass housings. The profile of the glass is flatter than sealed beam bulbs but it is not objectionable and nobody has commented about it.

dodj

Nice.
I would still do the relay conversion though. They are 60w lights. That's ten amps of headlight current.

I like to unload the BH connector as much as possible. JMO.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

can anyone suggest brand/model for a challenger with its 4 lamp system ?    Not looking for expensive, jut good straight conversion for reasonable price, with the objective being lower amperage than the incandescent system. 

Brads70

Quote from: chargerdon on December 01, 2023, 01:10:10 PMcan anyone suggest brand/model for a challenger with its 4 lamp system ?    Not looking for expensive, jut good straight conversion for reasonable price, with the objective being lower amperage than the incandescent system. 

Does this help? Just did a google search , I have no experience with them....
https://myhellalights.com/product/vision-plus-5%c2%be-conversion-headlamp/

Again with google, this place was cheaper than amazon...  https://www.rallylights.com/hella-5-3-4-round-e-code-hi-lo-conversion-headlamp-kit.html

Jegs....
https://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/002850811/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/002425811/10002/-1

PlumCrazyRTSE

Quote from: dodj on November 30, 2023, 04:26:07 AMNice.
I would still do the relay conversion though. They are 60w lights. That's ten amps of headlight current.

I like to unload the BH connector as much as possible. JMO.

Looks like they're only 30W per bulb, so 5 Amps total.

QuoteCustomer questions & answers
Q: What is watts of light bulbs
A: It is 30W per bulb.
By AUXITO-LED in the United States on October 25, 20211

Jay Bee

chargerdon

All of those posts are for Halogen style lights not LED.  I already have the Sylvania Silverstar halogen sealed beam bulbs in the car.   Their 55W for low and high beam.   I want something lower wattage rather than putting in relays.   Thus looking for LED not halogen.   Looking at all of those shown their all hallogen and 55 Watt for EACH bulb.   4 x 55 = 220 Watts or 18 amps.   Thats a lot to go thru the headlight switch.   Not to mention the 4 parking lamps and the rear lights.   

LED on the other hand use a lot less !!   So looking for LED for the 5/34 inch lights for the challenger. 

Brads70

Quote from: chargerdon on December 02, 2023, 08:22:48 AMAll of those posts are for Halogen style lights not LED.  I already have the Sylvania Silverstar halogen sealed beam bulbs in the car.   Their 55W for low and high beam.   I want something lower wattage rather than putting in relays.   Thus looking for LED not halogen.   Looking at all of those shown their all hallogen and 55 Watt for EACH bulb.   4 x 55 = 220 Watts or 18 amps.   Thats a lot to go thru the headlight switch.   Not to mention the 4 parking lamps and the rear lights.   

LED on the other hand use a lot less !!   So looking for LED for the 5/34 inch lights for the challenger. 
I assumed you could just use the led bulbs in the OP and that you were just looking for the glass housings.  :cheers:

dodj

Quote from: PlumCrazyRTSE on December 02, 2023, 05:34:46 AMLooks like they're only 30W per bulb, so 5 Amps total.

QuoteCustomer questions & answers
Q: What is watts of light bulbs
A: It is 30W per bulb.
By AUXITO-LED in the United States on October 25, 20211

Ya, I was sure they said 60w but I see now that they give info on both lights together. Like 15000lm for both, 60w for both. At 5 amps...ya not too big a deal.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Quote from: chargerdon on December 02, 2023, 08:22:48 AMAll of those posts are for Halogen style lights not LED.  I already have the Sylvania Silverstar halogen sealed beam bulbs in the car.   Their 55W for low and high beam.   I want something lower wattage rather than putting in relays.   Thus looking for LED not halogen.   Looking at all of those shown their all hallogen and 55 Watt for EACH bulb.   4 x 55 = 220 Watts or 18 amps.   Thats a lot to go thru the headlight switch.   Not to mention the 4 parking lamps and the rear lights.   

I put in something like these in my car. I did it several years ago so I don't remember the exact brand but these appear very similar.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404335305126?hash=item5e244321a6%3Ag%3A5oEAAOSwUghkitTv&fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AChallenger%7CMake%3ADodge