Main Menu

1971 Challenger Steering Column Ignition Harness Question

Started by Daveh, May 15, 2019, 11:45:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

First let me say how great Cody's steering column videos are.  They are unbelievable.  I had no hiccups with the tear down.  It went great.  Thanks Cody.

My questions:

1.  In the picture below you can see where the previous owner has cut the red wire on the ignition switch harness at the connector.  Why would that have been done?

1. I bought a new ignition switch but I understand that they aren't as reliable as the old ones.  Based on the picture do you recommend me fixing the red wire and put it back in the connector or using the new one or does it even go into the connector?  The black and red thicker wires are longer do they go somewhere else based on the length?

3. If I use the new one the heavier black and red wire are longer.  Are they supposed to connect somewhere else?  The previous owner connected the black wire into connector is that correct?  They seem like they are longer for a reason. 

Anything you can give me would be great.

Thanks Dave 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

That's not the buzzer they are the red ones on the end of the connector. 

anlauto

Oh sorry....I see that now, just took a quick look last time....the main power was cut maybe because the other end of the main harness was melted ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Quotethe main power was cut maybe because the other end of the main harness was melted ?

:iagree:  The same thing was done to mine.  The connector melted so it was bypassed.

Quote3. If I use the new one the heavier black and red wire are longer.  Are they supposed to connect somewhere else?

The replacement switch from a parts store is designed to fit more than one application.  I think they are designed to also fit A-bodies.  The A-body used a different style connector that required those wires to be longer.

Daveh

So then I'm guessing I just push them into the connector and call it a day?

Chryco Psycho

Sure IF the wire will lock into the  connector so it cannot slide back & if the connector is not damaged & if the matching contact [male or female is not damaged   the wire was probably pulled because 1 side of the connection was bad / intermittent

Burdar

QuoteSo then I'm guessing I just push them into the connector and call it a day?

Yes, the wires can be clipped into the new connector. The switch I bought already had the correct ends on the wires.  It also came with different ends(not attached) for the A-body application.  Don't just plug the connectors together and call it a day though.  I had an intermittent problem with the car shutting off.  It turned out to be a bad connection at the ignition switch connector.  Take the time to check the fitment of all the terminals.  The "female" ends can be slightly compressed to tighten up the fit.  Make sure to use dielectric grease on the connections.

If you are still using your original main dash harness, you need to look it over very closely.  Look at the ignition switch connector for burn marks and corrosion.  Clean all connection very well.  If the connector is burnt, find a replacement.

Daveh

Thanks Burdar I appreciate it.  All of my wiring harnesses are new because the previous owner had butchered all of the wiring and it wasn't safe at least for me.  Yes mine has the connectors on the end of the black and red wire that will clip into the connector.  So I think I'm good.  All of the new harnesses have been ok but don't fit as good as the old one's that's for sure. 

Burdar

All my harnesses were new too.  The blue "run" wire coming out of the ignition switch didn't have a good connection at the connector.  You still need to check over the new wiring and make sure all connections are tight.

Daveh