Main Menu

Novice Electrical Question

Started by PatO, April 03, 2019, 09:52:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

I'm getting ready to fire the engine in my car this weekend. I've got all the electrical installed and yesterday I was making sure everything worked. New battery in car and most all electrical systems are working, Headlights, parking lights, stereo, turn signals, hazard lights, wipers. Seems pretty good so far except for my temperature, oil pressure and fuel level gauges.

I had my gauge cluster rebuilt by performance car graphics and they installed a new electronic voltage regulator. I didn't test it though since it was new.

I don't have gas in the car but I can turn the motor over. With the key on in the run or crank position, I see absolutely no movement in the needles for the 3 gauges. The amp gauge is working. Before I crawl under the dash tonight with my meter I have a really basic question: Should the gauges show something with the ignition in the run position or does the engine need to be actually running before the needles move?

If that is not the case, I need to check for 12v into the voltage regulator and 5v out?

Thank you for any responses!

anlauto

I would get the car running first...I don't think there would be any movement. :alan2cents:

For what it's worth...I used 6 instrument clusters restored by PCG and NEVER had any issues. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I'm no electrical expert but...Your temperature gauge won't move until your engine starts to warm up. Your oil gauge won't move until you start the engine because you have no oil pressure. With no gas in tank your gas gauge will just sit on empty.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

PatO

OK! Thanx for the quick reply's.   :twothumbsup:

70 Challenger Lover

On a slightly related note, I'd double check the voltage going into the coil before you start cranking. If there is some weird issue that gives you low or no voltage, you do not want to be cranking the engine excessively on its first start up.

PatO

Yes, that's a good idea.  The engine has already been run in and dialed in on a dyno (using my ignition components) so as long as I get gas from the new tank and fuel line and I haven't mis-wired something I'm hoping to get a decent first time fire up in the car.   (fingers crossed)  oh boy, now I'm nervous . . . . .

70 Challenger Lover

That's one of the best feelings on these cars...hearing it for the first time. Especially when you are using a new exhaust system and have no idea how it's gonna sound.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JS29

@PatO  You can unplug your send unit and ground the wire out, and see if the gauge pegs out. that will test each of the three gauges in question.  :alan2cents: 

PatO

@JS29   -  Got it!  gauges check out.   :bigthumb:

Got 11.8V +/- at the coil.    :bigthumb:

Got spark at the spark plugs.   :bigthumb:

put in some gas tomorrow and give it a whirl. 

Chryco Psycho

That is the best feeling when building a car , first sound of life !  :bigthumb: