Main Menu

Original E body Rally Dash Wiring Harness

Started by erik70rt, January 13, 2024, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

When going through my parts today, I found I had an original e body rallye dash harness but have no idea what year it is.  Is there an easy way to determine that? 

It's in really good condition with nothing cut.  No fraying, good insulation and looks to be a good usable harness for my 1970 convertible. 

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

RJChallenger

Jay Bee

I look at the door jamb switch connector wiring. If it's 2 female spade connectors then it's a 1970 (like my car's). If it's a 3 pin style then it's 1971 and up (I had those on my parts harness).  :alan2cents: 

erik70rt

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 13, 2024, 05:54:12 PMI look at the door jamb switch connector wiring. If it's 2 female spade connectors then it's a 1970 (like my car's). If it's a 3 pin style then it's 1971 and up (I had those on my parts harness).  :alan2cents: 

Thanks!  It's got the two spades on both sides.  WOO HOO!!!!  :woohoo:

Jay Bee

Glad you looked at both sides because I should have clarified that.

VCODE

E74cuda

erik70rt

mccannix

Floor dimmer switch plastic connector is 72 up style.

Jay Bee

From our colored wiring  - 1972 barracuda

RJChallenger

1st picture (70)you can see the connections are recessed into the body, on 71 -74 the protrude into the engine compartment also as Jay Bee the 2 wires at the door switch vs 71-74 3 wires at the door switch

erik70rt

This is getting interesting.  Everything on my harness indicates it's a 1970 harness except the headlight dimmer switch connection.  I pulled out my old 1970 standard gauge harness just to do some comparisons and I see the fuse block is the same, the two wire door jambs are the same, and the dimmer switch is different.  The only thing I haven't checked is the horn relay (mainly because I'm not well versed here and not sure what to look at yet). 

Looks like I should be able to use this harness in my 1970 Challenger convertible without any modifications.

VCODE

Quote from: erik70rt on January 15, 2024, 05:22:32 AMThis is getting interesting.  Everything on my harness indicates it's a 1970 harness except the headlight dimmer switch connection.  I pulled out my old 1970 standard gauge harness just to do some comparisons and I see the fuse block is the same, the two wire door jambs are the same, and the dimmer switch is different.  The only thing I haven't checked is the horn relay (mainly because I'm not well versed here and not sure what to look at yet). 

Looks like I should be able to use this harness in my 1970 Challenger convertible without any modifications.

Pull the horn relay out, look at the way the orientation of wires on the block are. Send us a picture.

mccannix

I agree with VCode .
Pull the horn relay out...3 terminals and its a 1970, 4 terminals and up would be 71 and up.
Rearding the dimmer switch plastic, someone could have easily exchanged the plastic base.

Skdmark

If you are looking to restore your harness, Tommy at Part's Hound can restore your original harness.

I was at his shop picking up a custom plug and play harness for my EFI setup while he was restoring a 71 Rally Dash harness for a member's V code R/T a couple years ago.

IIRC he'll replace broken/damaged/missing/incorrect wires and connectors.
Clean and test all circuits. Rewraps in OEM material.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: