Main Menu

voltage regulator

Started by roguedc72, April 14, 2020, 09:33:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

roguedc72

hey hope everyone is well during these bizzare times. Since I'm off I had time I finally got my 72 rally model running, i have an aftermarket gauge set under the dash, oil,temp and volts, everything was showing normal till about the fifth start up, then I noticed the volts are 16 to 18 volts depending on engine rpm, it has a new alternator and engine wiring harness but the original voltage regulator, I think I already know what the problem is but I thought I'd get some feedback you guys before I throw parts at it, thanks in advance, stay healthy!

Bullitt-

Make sure the voltage regulator has a solid ground & there should be a ground strap from the RH head to the firewall
Another thing to check is the blue power wire to the VR should read very close to battery voltage, a poor connection can fool the VR into overcharging
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rich G.

Did they have a ground strap on the firewall from the factory? I know it probably a good idea to have one but I don't remember ever seeing one on unless every cuda I've worked on had it missing.

Bullitt-

Quote from: Rich G. on April 14, 2020, 11:59:11 AM
Did they have a ground strap on the firewall from the factory? I know it probably a good idea to have one but I don't remember ever seeing one on unless every cuda I've worked on had it missing.
This has been discussed here before, I know my '73 had one, there was some speculation this appeared about the time electronic ignition became standard
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

roguedc72

thanks guys, I had this car stripped to a bare unibody and then everything got 1 layer or more of paint, so grounding has an issue in other circuits as well. my instrument cluster is dead even though I installed several new gauges and even tested them before install, I'm thinking grounds there too.

JS29

roguedc72

update on the charging system,since the voltage regulator looked like the original and the harness and ground was good, I installed an Echlin unit from napa, charges at 14 V +/- a few tenths,good to go

JS29

Glad you found the problem.  :cool: