Main Menu

Question about this Sun tach

Started by blown motor, October 11, 2023, 02:47:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Can someone identify which is the signal wire that goes to the tach. Black is ground and white is the light. I would think that red is power which leaves the bare wire for the signal. Shouldn't the signal wire  be insulated? Green? This doesn't make sense.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Katfish

Coil wire can't be bare, that in non-insulated wire must be ground.

blown motor

But it touched the black wire to negative on the battery and the white to positive and the light worked. So I figured black was the ground wire.

anlauto

You'd think so....did you open up the cable further up and see if the green wire is bare all the way up ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Correction!!! The bare wire IS ground. When I touched the black wire to the post the bare wire must have been contacting metal somewhere making a ground and do the light came in. I just redid things being more careful about the loose wires. So black must be the signal wire.

Kowal

That is not a factory wire harness from Sun.   Take the back cover off and you will be able to figure out the signal and ground and see where the light is.   Make a new harness for yourself, you don't know what was done with that one
69 Hemi Charger 500, 70 U-code Challenger R/T
(Had but now gone...2 A12's, 1 Hemi B-body, 3 other B-bodies, 2 other E-bodies and an A-body...a good run!).  See www.DKowal426.com

P.J. O'Rouke:  "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."