Main Menu

Retrofitted a 3rd LED brake light into my 73 Cuda

Started by FSHTAIL, May 16, 2021, 01:51:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I modified a housing from a Volkswagen CC..
I had to modify the housing and solder wires directly to the board to remove a section of the housing so it sat tight against the upper inner window and finished it off with a textured black paint to flow a little better with the interior. 

I then made a black vinyl surround to give it a more finished look. 

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

FSHTAIL

More pics

The last picture is what the BLP-1 looks like.   

The housing is adhered with Gorilla brand double sided tape. 

I plan on a light tint to the rear window just so the UV stops beating on the interior.   

I tapped in off of the break switch by making a little jumper wire so that it is 100% plug and play.

Any questions, ask away.   

FSHTAIL

Close up of the exterior.   

All wiring runs between the metal rear window surround trim and BLP-1 mounted behind the new sail panel I just installed. 

HP2

Nice work and good looking. Gotta admit that I've thought about doing this on my Challenger. PLenty of inattentive drivers where I live and any extra candlepower spent on brake lights may be a good idea.

anlauto

I had Keith Sim fabricate one that welded right to the rear window moldings inside the car once. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

Are you going to have any sort of surround so you don't light up the interior when braking?

Looks killer.   

anlauto

Hummm...never thought of that....Unfortunately, the owner ran out of money and I never got to finish the car, had to ship it back to California...and I've never heard from him :dunno:

Valid point though  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

Did that have reverse lights on the outer edge?

Quote from: anlauto on May 16, 2021, 09:26:34 AM
Hummm...never thought of that....Unfortunately, the owner ran out of money and I never got to finish the car, had to ship it back to California...and I've never heard from him :dunno:

Valid point though  :thinking:

nsmall

Thanks for sharing.  There are so many distracted drivers where I live.  I know this may sound nuts, but I am becoming a little fearful to drive my Cuda.  Ive seen 5+ car accidents within 2 blocks of my home in the last 2 months.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: nsmall on May 16, 2021, 09:20:11 PM
Thanks for sharing.  There are so many distracted drivers where I live.  I know this may sound nuts, but I am becoming a little fearful to drive my Cuda.  Ive seen 5+ car accidents within 2 blocks of my home in the last 2 months.

3 of my friends cars were rear ended and they all said I didn't notice your brake lights.. 

69 Cuda, 71 Demon and a 79 Firebird..   

I'm a big fan of lighting upgrades, I really dislike people tinting their taillights. 

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm with you on the tinted tailights.... just not a good idea

dhh

Quote from: nsmall on May 16, 2021, 09:20:11 PM

Doesn't sound nuts to me as a fellow Californian  :pullinghair:

GoodysGotaCuda

Nicely done!

I couldn't bring myself to go to a full 3rd brake light. I ended up adding some LED halos to my stock tail lights and ended up with this. Better than nothing, I figure.

https://youtu.be/VIrP_23FtfA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

Looks really good.  Now you need to complete the safety upgrade with some LED tail lights.  Digi-tails has a Cuda kit that looks good.  I sent them one of my 68 Dart tail light housings.  They are supposed to be engineering a kit for me.

torredcuda

It may help but I think no matter how many milions of candle power your lights are there will still be distracted drivers not "seeing" you. The last accident I was in (not the cuda) the 19 yr old girl looked left and saw us coming but then looked right and didn`t realize the closing speed and BAM!
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/