Main Menu

Road Lamp Up grade ?

Started by anlauto, March 02, 2023, 02:40:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

12VDC is 12VDC....  Shouldn't have an issue if they say it's within the input voltage range they advertise.

FSHTAIL

they work for 12v to 50v..    you'll be fine. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

The seller is located in the UK, so I thought it might be something weird....why not just say 12V  :dunno:

I'm looking for something modern that will fit in a factory Road Lamp housing  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparCarGuy

Agree, it works from 12 to 50VDC. Odd that they do not show if it has a wiring pigtail in the pictures. The diameter looks like it might work in the factory road lamp.
Not sure about the bezel fit with the flat lense though. You are gonna have to try it.

Anything has got to put out more light than the factory GE incandescent bulbs.
Here are two different LED PAR36 3,000K road lamp bulbs that use 9W and output 900 and 570 lumens, respectively. The lenses are fluted similar to an original.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/204139/PLT-11156.html#
https://www.usalight.com/USALight-US-PAR36-3K-9W-PAR36-WW9W-160-p/par36-ww9w-160.htm

abeasley

anlauto

WOW...thanks for the links on those...They certainly look like they would do the trick.... :twothumbsup:

I did buy the "black" looking ones I posted originally just to give them a try....but I also had to order a new set of Road Lamps first  :bigmoney: ....I order black Dapper headlights, so I'm looking for something to compliment those...Resto-Mod = NO RULES  ;) :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73_Cuda_4_Me

The product info pictures (the 2nd or 3rd one) show they are rated 9-32 volts, instead of 12-50vdc...

The wattage rating puts current draw on 12 volts at around 10 amps, so 16 gauge wire needed if not already in place...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

moparroy

Yes good on 12V or 24V systems - but not for 6V.
Some off roaders like my step dad's diesel Land Cruiser was 24 V - my mom's old '65 beetle I think was 6V.
LEDs are current devices and will work over a range of voltage with minimal difference in brightness - like I have bulbs in a couple flash lights that I think are rated 6V to 28V - I run at 15.6 and 19.2V.
Or the "dimmable" LEDs I bought for the 'Cuda will dim on the dimmer control over a range but not like an incandescent - the range of brightness is narrower and then they go off.

anlauto

Gotta love Amazon....these just arrived, less then 24 hrs after ordering...New Road Lamps will be here tomorrow...

MoparCarGuy

I did another search to find better pricing for LED PAR36 bulbs for the Cuda Road Lamps.
Amazingly, I found that Home Depot carries them In Stock for $11.67 each. Way better pricing and local to almost everyone wanting to try them out.
Output is 450 lumens per bulb and 3000K (Halogen color or near warm white) in color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-36-Watt-Equivalent-PAR36-12-Volt-Outdoor-Landscape-Multi-Purpose-Base-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-Warm-White-3000K-1-Bulb-BPLVPAR3636-LED/312651000

Jay Bee

Just following. Thanks MoparCarGuy for the research on this and the "upgrade to H4..." thread.
Go figure, I couldn't find the above bulb on the Home Depot Canada website but there's a slew on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=par36+12+volt+led&crid=2MY7Q56E6MATT&sprefix=par36+12+volt+led%2Caps%2C93&ref=nb_sb_noss

anlauto

So here's what I mashed together....had to rely on some epoxy so I hope it holds up.....bought the bulbs pretty cheap on Amazon, was surprised to see the housing is aluminum and not plastic.... :smile:

...so keep in mind this is for a resto-mod with custom Dapper headlights, LED side markers and Digi-Tails tail lights....this wasn't meant to be just an up grade for better front end lighting, I was kinda going for the aesthetics of the whole package...  :yes:

MoparCarGuy

That certainly meets the definition of RestoMod!
Let us know how you like the light output when done. I am sure it will be a serious amount of light.