Main Menu

starter relay question: which one?

Started by Dakota, April 29, 2021, 08:56:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I just received a starter relay from Roseville.  I bought it based on the title which described it as the correct version for a manual transmission.   Now that I have it in my hand, I don't see a location on it to connect the clutch safety switch (CSS).   Looking at their website, the picture with the "manual transmission" version matches what they sent me (see 1st pic below).   The automatic version (2nd picture), had a tab that can be used for a CSS on it like the relay I have now.   

The combination of a mounting bolt and the solder on the upper right corner the manual relay will certainly provide a ground connection, so where is the CSS supposed to be connected on this relay?   I'm thinking I need to have the "automatic" version despite how they are labeled, but maybe I'm missing something.

I talked with Jon at Roseville a few minutes ago, but he wasn't able to answer my question.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

edit:  corrected the switch name to "Clutch Safety Switch" instead of "Neutral Safety Switch"

dodj

Manuals don't have one. They have a clutch switch. They have a trans switch only for back-up lights
That's why you see the connector that normally gets it's ground through the NSS, connected to the case ground of the relay.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Your top picture is correct for all manuals PRE-1970. All manual cars prior to 1970 did not have a safety switch...that was introduced in 1970....

ALL 1970 and up cars use the same starter relay regardless of manual or automatic transmissions  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2021, 10:09:25 AM

ALL 1970 and up cars use the same starter relay regardless of manual or automatic transmissions  :alan2cents:
My '73 when I originally got it was a column auto converted to a console auto (console from a Charger). The starter relay was like the top pic. lol
I'm thinking the person who did the conversion to console got tripped up with the nss wiring somehow and decided to eliminate it the easy way.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Up until 70 they did not use a clutch switch with a manual trans so the ground was just to the case / body , 70 up used the second type with a wire terminal for the clutch switch , the one they sent is up to 69 .

FSHTAIL

Wouldn't it just be easier to say that all E body's had clutch switches?

Unless late built 69's had them (E-body)   :stop:

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

Yes, but he could easily use the starter relay from the top picture on an E Body, you just would not have any type of safety switch :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

usraptor

The starter relay on my '70 'Cuda 4-speed looks like the one in the second picture.  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

R/T's 4 R/P

If you want to be anal, get or save the original screw and use that instead of that blade style hex screw.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

GoMangoBoys

Well, I just ran into this same exact problem.  Thanks @Dakota for solving this already for me.

71vert340

Starter relay in my 71.
Terry W.

71vert340

So, I have to ask this question about the starter relays in the photos on Roseville's site. Were the relays originally the silver zinc plating color as shown or are they more of the yellow cadmium plating? Looking at mine, it's hard to tell if it's the zinc color or if engine heat and age have given it a slight yellow cad plate color. Thanks.
Terry W.

Chryco Psycho

I recall them always being the yellow color .