Main Menu

wiper motor and wiper installation

Started by nsmall, January 21, 2017, 11:24:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I have a restored OEM 3 speed wiper, the under the cowl linkage, and the actual arms and blades now.

They were never installed so I will be doing this as guess.

whats the best order of operation?  Should I first test the motor and see if my switch works?

Then install the wiper motor, then install the under the cowl linkage, then arms, then blades?

Just want to mock it up before paint.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Who did the restoration?  If you are sure they did a good job, I do not test fit the motor.  It's easy to install once the car is painted and I've never had any issues.  Does anyone see any reason to test fit a wiper motor?  When you install it for the final time, don't put the wiper arms on until you test it and make sure it works and is in the park position.   :alan2cents:

I like that you're trying to think of every little thing before you move forward.  That's smart. 

blown motor

If all the parts are correct there should be no need for a test fit. If it makes you more comfortable I would install the arms and then the linkage that connects the arms and then connect that to the motor.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

Cuda Coday...Bruce Somer...Mopar Performance Parts down here in SoCal did the restoration.  Havent opened the box, but he sent me the unit this past week.

I need the bolts that mount the under the cowl linkage to the upper cowl.  I heard rtspecialties are a good outfit to get these.  Does that sound correct?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

RT Specialties has a good selection.  Dave at Roseville Moparts might have a better price.  Most of them are getting them from AMK....

https://www.amkproducts.com/
https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk1.asp

But I'm not fully picturing the hardware you're looking far?    :huh:

SF-Resto

Quote from: nsmall on January 22, 2017, 09:41:58 PM
Cuda Coday...Bruce Somer...Mopar Performance Parts down here in SoCal did the restoration.  Havent opened the box, but he sent me the unit this past week.

I need the bolts that mount the under the cowl linkage to the upper cowl.  I heard rtspecialties are a good outfit to get these.  Does that sound correct?

Thanks

There you go, the 2 bottom bolt are black , the one on top are chrome although I have seen some in stainless or clear zinc platted.. RT should have them.

Stephan

nsmall

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Yes, RT Specialties should have them.  He gets busy and is not always easy to get a hold of.  If that's the case you can try David at Roseville Moparts.  Both of them should be able to get you the correct captured washer (SEMS) fastener.

Might think about what else you need since you're going to be paying shipping anyways.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: nsmall on January 23, 2017, 10:28:12 PM

Thanks

Claudia

I am currently in the process of installing my wiper system.  Starting with all of my old parts, I removed the wiper motor crank arm from the actual wiper motor and then test fit the motor in the car just to ensure that it would fit properly.  I then installed the transmission linkage under the upper cowl panel along with the wiper pivots to ensure that everything lined up properly.  I did not install the actual wiper arms.  I then sent my wiper motor out to be rebuilt.  In the meantime, I refinished all of the other parts myself.  Once I received the motor back, I installed that into the car and then attached the wiper motor crank arm to the wiper motor.  I then installed the wiper transmission and pivots into the car but did not connect the main drive linkage bar to the wiper motor crank arm.  As mentioned above, I am going to wait and install my dash and test all of my wiring first so that I can ensure (via my wiper switch) that the wiper motor is in the parked position before connecting everything and then adjusting the park position.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Don't install the wiper blades until you have ran it a bit and are sure the wiper motor is parking properly. If the car is an unknown, I probably would install  the motor and maybe all the linkage to ensure I had everything. It also wouldn't hurt to do a test on an unknown car to make sure the wiring and switch are in proper working order.
Sheldon

nsmall

Thanks everyone. I was able to mock it up before I tore the car down.  I'll make sure to test it again before putting the wiper arms on and maybe even wrap the wiper arms with something to make sure nothing gets crazy and screws up my new paint job