Main Menu

wiper motor

Started by roguedc72, September 10, 2019, 05:12:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

roguedc72

the question is about wiper motors,  my 3 speed original part just doesn't run and a new one is over $400, so an aftermarket motor from ebay is only $92, Cardone 85-382, has anyone used one of these and can I go from 3 spd to 2 spd using the same switch? everything else is coming back to life after sitting on my garage shelves for over 20 years. Thanks for any input, Bob. 

Rich G.

You have to change the linkage to the motor if you go from 3spd to 2 spd

JS29

Quote from: Rich G. on September 10, 2019, 06:45:43 PM
You have to change the linkage to the motor if you go from 3spd to 2 spd
I think it is wired differently at the switch. and the switch it's self is different.   :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

There are many different components. The switch is different as is the motor and I think wiring too. The arm inside the cowl that goes to the back of the motor is different and there is a link connecting that interior arm to the back of the motor that's different. To make things even harder on you, many of those specialty 3 speed parts vary from 70-71 to the later years and of course vary from the other a,b,c body cars.

There is a company (can't recall who at the moment) that lists all the differences on their website. They rebuild the motors but they also offer the info to help guide people in switching from one to the other. According to them, intermixing parts can lead to damage.

6bblgt

here's a start to the different part numbers for the crank arm & drive links  :takealook:

roguedc72

thanks guys, I have a chrysler service manual that covers the 3 speed wiper motor function and diag, guess I'll start reading. Another work of mopar brilliance!

RUNCHARGER

Nothing wrong with Mopar engineering. At least you can take a wiper motor out of a C-body and put it in an E or B-body. Heck to buy a speedometer cable for a 69 Camaro there are about 4 different possibilities.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Usually the wipers get caught up on the chrome strip at the bottom of the windsheild & burn out the switch inside the motor to stop it running once it parks