Main Menu

1971 440 engine

Started by dodgemania, December 13, 2018, 09:11:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodgemania

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 14, 2018, 07:05:49 AM
The 3310 is simple and cheap. Another good street carb is an 800CFM AVS. Could you give us a photo of the intake manifold though, just to ensure it still is a square bore design? It may have been changed to a 73 and up TQ manifold.
i can arrange some photos i guess with some help of my friends when engine  arrive to the harbour

734406PK

Check the casting number on the block. That looks like a 6630 late model design (1975 and later) since there is the bump out on the flywheel housing area at 12:00. I haven't seen exhaust manifolds like that either. Chrysler Marine 440 exhaust manifolds are water jacketed and each one is close to the size of a cylinder head by comparison. I'm just guessing, but they might be something left over from an aftermarket turbo kit or Chrysler Industrial manifolds bolted on upside down. What does the right side manifold look like? The same?

1 Wild R/T

I believe the exhaust manifolds are aftermarket from the mid 80's, a place out of Southern California made a short run of manifolds designed to bolt up twin turbos....  A buddy of mine had a pair.... Sold them & built a Hemi instead...

dodgemania

i was told the engine came from a wrecked car so the rotation is okay goes the right way . but maybe i should buy a new alu intake holley so the new carb will fit. i dont now anything about stock manifold verso alu  :clueless:

Chryco Psycho

Holley Street Dom would be my intake of choice  :bigthumb:

dodgemania

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 14, 2018, 04:19:19 PM
Holley Street Dom would be my intake of choice  :bigthumb:
thanks Chryco Psycho  i will order one .and a complete gasket set . I think there  will be a lot of some other question about that engine but i am welly happy to all of you guys who have helping me here ,  :thankyou: Lots of Great People on this forum.

Chryco Psycho

dodgemania

final engine has just arrived, i just coded it to be a late 440 block 77 and head open chambers
can you guys tell me what i will need to get it running again missing water housing and pump and thermostat stud
i have new msd to the engine complete set and holley intake and carb and all gasket for the engine and i will order a new radiator maybe summit gonna make a big list for parts  :rubeyes:

Chryco Psycho

Almost looks like a steel crank engine .
the best gasket to use is the Felpro 1215 as it will block the heat crossover ports & keep the intake cool
I would also use a clutch fan as they are more effcient than the rigid fan you show in the picture

dodgemania

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 12, 2019, 06:07:38 AM
Almost looks like a steel crank engine .
the best gasket to use is the Felpro 1215 as it will block the heat crossover ports & keep the intake cool
I would also use a clutch fan as they are more effcient than the rigid fan you show in the picture
yes i believe it's a steel crank engine. i have the gasket 1215 ready. any recommendation for a good radiator steel or alu or a link need hoses also its a automatic for a 69 Chrysler any body know where to buy complete exhaust system maybe hp manifold and headers and 2.5" pipes all the way back

RUNCHARGER

It's a dash 1 block which is pretty good (hopefully less core shift than most). It does look like a steel crank. TTI makes the best fitting headers and they make exhaust that will bolt to them, expensive but you will only have to do it once. The water pump housing and radiator will have to match (bottom outlet orientation left or right side).
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Overall I prefer the brass radiators , GlenRay may be a good source but I have never dealt with them
You have to decide if you want headers or manifolds , Manifolds are not too hard to locate , either way TTI makes pipes to fit perfectly & I would only use TTi headers

dodgemania

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 12, 2019, 07:52:15 AM
It's a dash 1 block which is pretty good (hopefully less core shift than most). It does look like a steel crank. TTI makes the best fitting headers and they make exhaust that will bolt to them, expensive but you will only have to do it once. The water pump housing and radiator will have to match (bottom outlet orientation left or right side).
Thanks RUNCHARGER i will give them a call ..

dodgemania

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 12, 2019, 09:09:27 AM
Overall I prefer the brass radiators , GlenRay may be a good source but I have never dealt with them
You have to decide if you want headers or manifolds , Manifolds are not too hard to locate , either way TTI makes pipes to fit perfectly & I would only use TTi headers
¨
thanks Chryco Psycho i will try to do more searches for the radiator