Main Menu

318 engine 340 intake ?

Started by Racer57, July 15, 2021, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Its been 45 +/- years, but I had a 69 Barracuda with a 318 2 barrel.  Wore the engine out, pulled it and rebuilt it. Installed an Isky cam (what we use to call a 3/4 race cam), windage tray and an Eldebrock intake that I bought from a buddy  If my memory is correct, the intake was from a 1970 340 Cuda. I placed the intake gaskets first on the intake, used a Dremel and matched them. Then placed the gaskets on the heads. Two sides matched perfect and the other two were smaller so I used my Dremel and matched them. Put a 600 or 650 4 barrel on it and it ran great !!

Is my memory correct about using the intake from a 340 on my 318 ?

Chryco Psycho

The 340 intake will bolt onto a 318 no problem , yes the port size is smaller on the 318 , larger on the 340 intake & yes you can blend the smaller 318 port to the 340 size , many people just leave the ports alone though , it will work like that but does create turbulence .

Racer57

Thanks !!  Glad to know memory of my past hot rodding skills is still intact.  I was 22 or 23 when I did that.   :banana:

MoparLeo

I reread your description and it sounds backwards. Since the ports would have been bigger on the intake manifold, opening the intake ports ( or just holes in the gaskets ?) to the gasket size and then they matched the head port size with no work doesn't make sense.
As said before the ports sizes are different, not a good match. Now Edelbrock did make a special dual plane , 4 barrel manifold for a few years that was designed for the smaller 318 port size. Model LD4B .
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...