Main Menu

318 Engine Block sitting in my garage - Any useful parts or just junk it?

Started by 72 Challenger, December 14, 2017, 08:55:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

I have a low compression 1974 318 block in my garage. It came out of my old Challenger and it has some serious blow by issues. Already gone onto the 360 are the intake and all of the parts above it, so are all of the accessory's (Alternator, powersteering, water pump, crank pulley, brackets, valve covers, distributor etc...) It's basically a long block. Are there any worthwhile parts (crank, pistons, con rods, heads, rockers, block, oil pan etc...) that are worth saving or is it all junkyard bound?

I'd keep it for a coffee table or something but I'm thinking it's worthless and if I stub my toe on it again I will turn into the hulk.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Cuda Cody

I love having things like that around as there's always some little bolt or fastener I can use of them.  But I seem to hold on to everything.  :D

72 Challenger

I have a touch less storage room than yourself! I tried the obvious answer first, but the wife said no to expanding the garage. OUTRAGEOUS.

I would keep it if I could just to look at. It's not a real garage with out a couple engines sitting around right? However, this isn't a sweet 1970- T/A block or even a useful 340 or 360.

Burdar

I'd take it off your hands if you were close.  I want to make a table out of one.  As for any real value...not really.  If it's the original engine to your car, I'd find a way to keep it.

Cudajason

Quote from: 72 Challenger on December 14, 2017, 08:55:04 AM
I have a low compression 1974 318 block in my garage. It came out of my old Challenger and it has some serious blow by issues. Already gone onto the 360 are the intake and all of the parts above it, so are all of the accessory's (Alternator, powersteering, water pump, crank pulley, brackets, valve covers, distributor etc...) It's basically a long block. Are there any worthwhile parts (crank, pistons, con rods, heads, rockers, block, oil pan etc...) that are worth saving or is it all junkyard bound?

I'd keep it for a coffee table or something but I'm thinking it's worthless and if I stub my toe on it again I will turn into the hulk.

Does it have the exhaust manifolds on it????
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

72 Challenger

It does not.

Everything on the exterior of the engine is gone except the oil pan and timing chain cover. I know tings like the oil pick up etc.. could be useful but I am more thinking about the crank etc... If they are worthless than it will go.

@Burdar I'd love to make a table like that but not with a cast iron block. If I had an aluminum block from an old Jaguar or something I'd be all over it.

dave73

If it's numbers matching I'd keep it..if not make a table or junk it. Mine is sitting on a dolly taking up space but it's original to my car so I won't part with it.

@Cudajason are you looking for 318 manifolds? I may still have mine

PLUM72

Those that say to keep it because its a numbers matching engine, do you really think a numbers matching 318 e-body has any great value? or will have down the road?  Is there value in keeping a block or is there more value in the space the block takes up.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

GoodysGotaCuda

My #s 318 block and 904 are keeping my shed from flying away when it's windy out.

There's no real value in them, especially since the car has a 3gen Hemi and a 6spd in it.  But I have them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Katfish

I usually hang on to things like this for way too long, then throw it away much later and curse myself for storing it so long.

I'd trash it

71GranCoupe

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on December 14, 2017, 01:28:23 PM
My #s 318 block and 904 are keeping my shed from flying away when it's windy out.

There's no real value in them, especially since the car has a 3gen Hemi and a 6spd in it.  But I have them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a numbers matching car, even if it has a 3gen Hemi in it, may be a tipping point for a future sale. One never knows. If you have the room, I would keep it.  :alan2cents:

Burdar

Like I said above, a 318 even if it's numbers matching doesn't have any great value.  However, there is no way I'd ever be able to get rid of a numbers matching engine for a muscle era car.  I'd even hold onto a /6 if it was the original engine to an E-body I owned, but that's just me.

LinceCuda

Quote from: Burdar on December 14, 2017, 01:45:39 PM
Like I said above, a 318 even if it's numbers matching doesn't have any great value.  However, there is no way I'd ever be able to get rid of a numbers matching engine for a muscle era car.  I'd even hold onto a /6 if it was the original engine to an E-body I owned, but that's just me.
Me as well I would keep it no matter what engine size it is. :)

72 Challenger

Off it goes then!

It was not numbers matching to the Challenger I had previously so when it was sold the new owner didn't want a 318 that needed a rebuild. Someone informed me that a guy locally uses the pistons, cams, push rods etc.. to make trophy's for charity car shows. Might be the only way parts from this engine live on!

303 Mopar

When I bought my Charger, the PO had a complete 318 that he just threw in because he did not want it anymore.  I ended up donating the engine to a local high school for their shop class.  Just another idea.....