Main Menu

383 4 speed correct shift points?

Started by BigmanjbMOPAR, May 15, 2021, 04:40:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BigmanjbMOPAR

As we shake down our cuda and learning all we can one thing I noticed was the revs. In 1st it seems like we get to 25 mph and hit 3k rpm shift to 2nd hit 40 35
K hit 3rd seems to cruise well in 3rd and 4th. What sgould the shift roma be and ar what speeds? Gears are stock 323. Trans is the 23 spline.
70 Cuda Project Purple Book

340Challman

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. I don't shift that high unless I'm motivating. I can't say for certain because I shift by ear, but I'd say probably not even 2500 rpm if I'm just cruising. I may be short shifting, but I'm not lugging the motor. If I need to gitty up, a downshift is only a second away.  :)
Kevin

jimynick

My Challenger has the same set up and I don't shift it any differently. Really. 3500 isn't revving it up all that much and the higher the rpm, the more responsive it is. It's not like we're driving these cars each and every day and the gas mileage isn't the prime consideration, so I'd say Give 'er!   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

6bblgt

peak torque was rated somewhere around 3500 RPM - so anytime while cruising up to (or around) that point is going to "feel" appropriate  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

:thinking: Never shift below 6000 RPM's.....  :rofl: :vipermanhiding: