Main Menu

4 Speed manual conversion

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 26, 2019, 08:05:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

My boy and I just picked up a Go Mango 70 Challenger.  The car was born with a 727, but the previous owner partially converted it to a 4 speed manual.  The hump is changed over (hopefully done right) and I have a clutch pedal assembly.  I have many questions about what else we need.  I am hoping to pick up some stuff at the Fall Carlisle Swap meet next week.
1.  I need a bell housing.  Can someone tell me what one I need?
2.  I need a fywheel and clutch.  What diameter?  23 spline right?
3. I need an A833 tranny.  How do I tell ny looking at it that it is the right length for a 70 Challenger?
4. Clutch fork.  What do I need?
5.  Does the challenger use a hydraulic master / slave cylinder?  What do I need here?
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

The Alum belhousing for big block will work , the earlier iron ones are not the best choice , sorry I don't have casting #s handy but check on Brewers site they have the info listed
You want a 130 tooth flywheel with a 10.95 " pressure plate
You can use a 23 or 18 spline 833 but the disc spline has to match
Alum A833 are an OD unit & the 2 shift forks should be one up & one down , I personally like thm many do not  :alan2cents:
you need a locg tailshaft A833 with 2 shifter mounts , one is near the speedo & the other at the rear of the tailhousing
Contact brewers on the clutch fork
Or you can use the Mcleod hyd release brg inside the belhousing , all you need is a hyd line inside the bell & a master cyl , I prefer this to mech linkage

71vert340

You'll need shift rods, shifter, frame bracket for mechanical clutch linkage, shifter boot, clutch safety switch for originality look. Probably other things I've forgotten. I did this conversion 15 years ago.
Terry

Chryco Psycho

There is a complete list in the reference section

dodj

Once you get all the required parts, it is surprisingly easy IMO. The firewall and frame are dimpled/slotted where the additional parts go and the factory service manual has a very good exploded view of how everything goes together.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

erik70rt

Call Brewers Performance.  They will have everything you need and can talk you through your questions.  I am doing a 4 spd conversion to my Challenger, too!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

7E-Bodies

If my 70 440 RT 727 wasn't so stinkin' original, I'd be writing the $5k check to brewers today.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 27, 2019, 06:26:47 AM
If my 70 440 RT 727 wasn't so stinkin' original, I'd be writing the $5k check to brewers today.
The freedom of having what was originally a 318 Challenger like mine is I can do almost anything to it and never be concerned about hurting the value. Of course it will never be worth what yours is.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rich G.

The hard part is the bracket that is welded to the frame rail that holds the Z bar in. If you go with a hydraulic throw out bearing you won't need the bracket or Z bar but you're looking at a lot more money. I don't want to be a Debbie downer but it's really slim pickings finding a Mopar part in Carlisle in the fall. Very depressing for us Mopar people. But you might get lucky.

6pack

Look on the for B bodies site there is a complete set-up for sale in the classified adds.

303 Mopar

You have a couple of options for transmission - 833 from Passon Performance or Brewers, 833 OD from Passon Performance (this is what I have in my Cuda), 855 5 spd from Passon Performance (wait list and more expensive)

For the parts needed you can hunt and peck for a year or more, or just call Brewers or Passon and tell them what you have and they will send you everything you need.

I converted my Cuda a couple of years ago and have details and pics here - https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/auto-to-4-speed-swap-pictures/8937/msg123356#msg123356

Also, good info a pics here even though its a b body - http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html