Main Menu

440 cylinder head dyno comparison

Started by Strawdawg, October 01, 2021, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Strawdawg

On the latest Engine Masters on the MT Network.

They took Dulcich's 440 and compared 906's vs 440Source, Edelbrock, and TFS heads.  His engine had 6 pack forged pistons, custom cam (I think they said 236 on the intake and .545" lift), Holley Street Dominator intake, 850 cfm Holley, 2 1/8" TTI...believe they said it was around 9.5 cr with the 906's

They quoted the various CRs for each pair of heads.

I always enjoy Engine Masters as they have played with Mopars fairly often.  Anyway, with the 906's, it started out around 460 hp and increased progressively to around 523 with the TFS heads...The big ports on those heads barely diminished the numbers below 3500.

Roughly, each set of heads added about 20 hp over the prior set in the order I named them above.  They played with the timing as well. 36-38 total was about where each performed the best.  Commented that they could not get a set of Indy Heads in time but might run them later if they do get some.
Steve

Chryco Psycho

I bet they used a Comp grind , seems they are unaware of any other makes !
They could probably gain significantly using other cams too .
My Dyno findings were a 3 RWHP gain from ported 452 up to ported Eddy heads

Strawdawg

Yes, they seem to always use Comps, but, I guess that is not surprising.

I went back and watched it again.  It is a hydraulic roller lifter 236/241, 0.545" lift and 108 deg lobe separation

Also had the old Speed Pro forged six pack pistons.

I thought it was interesting that Dulcich is still running the Street Dominator.  I still have one on the 440 that I have been helping my son put in his Satellite Wagon for the past year.
Steve

rikkitik

Their use of Comp is most likely, sponsor $$. Though Comp does have the gamut, from crap lobes, to some really nice lobes. I wouldn't even "slightly" consider anything other than JUST their cam/lobes, (lifters, springs, retainers, imho = junk). Though I myself haven't used anything but Ultradyne/Bullet in the last 30, or so, years. Engine Masters might have at least considered a more worthy cam to better emphasize the available airflow.
Pretty nice dyno chart from a 9.9:1 440 +.030, TF240 heads, Comp TK series solid roller 238/242@.050. Incredibly nice, flat, torque "curve". 592hp/545tq out of 446, pump gas, cu inches. Not bad at all

Chryco Psycho

The street Dom is simply one of the best intakes out there , I port the crap out of them but they sit low & almost no other intake will outperform them .

Strawdawg

Neil, I picked up my Dominator based upon your suggestion long ago.  I have never regretted it.  It seems to cost very little on the bottom end and keeps on pulling up top.  Leaves plenty of room for a decent air filter under the hood.  I see it appears to have been brought back into production (unless I was not looking at an rb version)

Rikkitik... I think they were trying to do a straight baseline on a basic engine rather than optimize the engine by changing the supporting cast.  Took Dulcich's engine and swapped nothing but heads.  As pointed out, the TFS heads may have massive intake ports as compared to the others but it was barely noticed on the bottom end as compared to the "more normal" sized ports.  It was what happened if you spent a $1000, $1500, or $2000 on the heads on a pretty basic engine.

Conventional wisdom vs what really happens, if you will.  I was actually a bit surprised to find the 440Source heads which are supposed to be a close copy to the 906's other than having larger valves made about 20 more hp.  Of course, compression ratios varied head to head as chamber volume changed.

I did make a slight mistake in that the TTI headers started out at the ports at 2" and stepped up to 2 1/8" rather than being 2 1/8 all the way.
Steve