Main Menu

Cracked cylinder head

Started by ksierens, January 27, 2018, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

I am getting my heads ready to take in to the engine guy and noticed a crack on the exhaust side by the stud.  Is this something that can typically be fixed, or should I count on getting another head?  Also, what is a good price for a used head.

Thanks in advance
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

RUNCHARGER

I don't know what type of engine but typically you will be much further ahead finding another head.
Sheldon

ksierens

Sorry, I forgot to mention it is a 440  :smile:

Brads70

Quote from: ksierens on January 27, 2018, 03:50:19 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention it is a 440  :smile:

Try a wanted ad on here with the required casting number?

cudabob496

this searches craigslists from the entire country

http://www.dailylister.com/
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

might get the crack inspected by an head expert.
determine depth and stuff.
A simple welding fix might take care of the issue.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Chryco Psycho

I have drilled & installed plugs between the seats & had new seat inserts installed successfully to repair cracks , I would talk to the machinist to see if the area can be fixed , most 440 heads are not rare so a different head is likely easier though , Unless it is a rare casting .

71GranCoupe

Decisions-Decisions. and here is my  :alan2cents:  I had an aluminum head repaired by a shop that does is all the time, lasted about 1000 miles and cracked again. Take the money you would spend on the repair and apply it to a replacement head.  :cheers:

TelisSE440

:iagree: Far better to replace with a used cylinder head, after you checked it for cracks. I had changed the driver's side cylinder head about four months ago. It had a two inch crack under the cyl. 3, 5 exhaust ports and spilling coolant all over the place. Also two cracks inside the the cyl 7 and cyl 3 intake runners. I have seen in video what CP is saying and it's an excellent but complex job imho. If you don't search for a rare head, i think they are cheap, i paid 100$ for a pair of 906s (needing some work though).

ksierens

Thanks guys, since they are just 906 heads, I sure I can pick up a used one quite cheap, no sense in taking a chance.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I too had an iron Hemi head welded up a few decades ago. It ran for about 1 week and then I heard a "ting" while I was driving one day and white smoke started coming out the tailpipe again. Not saying they can't be repaired it's just in your case another head is an easy find.
Sheldon

734406PK

Quote from: ksierens on January 28, 2018, 07:10:57 AM
Thanks guys, since they are just 906 heads, I sure I can pick up a used one quite cheap, no sense in taking a chance.

I have 2- 906's  for you no charge, just pay shipping. I have to clean out the shop...PM me if interested. :twothumbsup:

cudabob496

I suppose all these instances of cracked blocks are due to an overheating event??

RUNCHARGER

Freeze cracks on blocks, A lot of early Hemi blocks cracked in the main saddles. My Hemi Cylinder broke when a valve broke and went through a combustion chamber.
Sheldon

Topcat

My OEM Hemi head had a crack.
Bolt hole to the  chamber.

This Guy who I was referred to fixed it and it's been trouble free.
He was really good.

Ran me $400 but that was way cheaper than a new Hemi head.