Main Menu

727 Shift problem

Started by mopar_rick, May 14, 2017, 11:54:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar_rick

I've had my 70 SE Chllenger with a 383 / AT for 7 years now.  Recently I picked up a 77 Dodge Power Wagon with a 318 / AT.

They both do the same thing. 

Normally I would expect the transmission to shift from 1st to 2nd maybe between 10 and 20 MPH, and then hang out in second until the vehicle hits 30 to 40 MPH (making these speeds up) and finally shift into 3rd.

I haven't messed with anything - this is how they have both reacted.  They both shift into 2nd, and almost immediately shift into 3rd.  I can manually shift from 1st to 2nd, and then to 3rd, and that works fine.

Is there an adjustment, that needs made either on the kickdown linkage, or band adjustments?  Fluid was change on the challenger 3K ago.  Haven't gotten to the truck yet.

Thanks,

Cuda Cody

Does it work like that when you are just driving normal or also when you jump on it.  So if you're at a stop and you floor it, when does it shift?

mopar_rick

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 14, 2017, 12:01:03 PM
Does it work like that when you are just driving normal or also when you jump on it.  So if you're at a stop and you floor it, when does it shift?

Hi Cody,

Seems to work this way either when I'm babying it - most of the time, or when I get on it.  I'll have to try the "floor if from a stop" I haven't paid attention to whether it is delayed in that instance.  Just seems like I have a 2-speed transmission in most cases.

Cuda Cody

My 727's shift early too when I'm driving normally.  I think that's the way there are.  But with the kickdown linkage properly adjusted when I jump on the throttle it stays in gear a long time and only changes when it's pretty much in the high RPMs.

Check out 71-2 for some good tips and tricks on adjusting the kickdown linkage:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/master-technician-service-conference-reference-books/

mopar_rick

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 14, 2017, 12:19:10 PM
My 727's shift early too when I'm driving normally.  I think that's the way there are.  But with the kickdown linkage properly adjusted when I jump on the throttle it stays in gear a long time and only changes when it's pretty much in the high RPMs.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/master-technician-service-conference-reference-books/

Thanks, Cody.  I'll give it a try on the next nice day. 

I'm just used to all my so called modern cars hitting each gear and hanging out there for a thousand rpm or so.  I've had 66 and 73 dodge automatics - about 30 years ago.  I just can't say I remember them operating like this.

eforce

Mine was a Fresh Build 727,and it sat for a long time and did that.
A very Knowledgeable Mechanical Engineer had me check fluid pressures on the tail shaft housing.
Turns out, all I had to do was clean the Centrifugal governor in the Tail shaft, and it was fine.
I will have to do it again , since it has been sitting again.
Hope that helps!
Eric....

303 Mopar

Quote from: mopar_rick on May 14, 2017, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 14, 2017, 12:19:10 PM

Thanks, Cody.  I'll give it a try on the next nice day. 

I'm just used to all my so called modern cars hitting each gear and hanging out there for a thousand rpm or so.  I've had 66 and 73 dodge automatics - about 30 years ago.  I just can't say I remember them operating like this.

:iagree:  It sounds like its working just fine.  You can always try to adjust the linkage, but it may get worse so I would leave it alone.

mopar_rick

Well, I guess it turns out I just don't drive them hard enough.

The Challenger works just fine when I pull away from a stop more briskly. 

The truck has 4.11 gears so, when I drive like a granny it's just itching to get into third.

So thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  I guess I need to thrash them a bit.

Now the new Challenger on the other hand gets ridden hard and put away wet.  So it works just fine.

Cuda Cody

Glad to hear it's working. 

I find myself starting in 1st and using the slap stick to change gears.

Quote from: mopar_rick on May 24, 2017, 03:23:47 PM
Well, I guess it turns out I just don't drive them hard enough.

The Challenger works just fine when I pull away from a stop more briskly. 

The truck has 4.11 gears so, when I drive like a granny it's just itching to get into third.

So thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  I guess I need to thrash them a bit.

Now the new Challenger on the other hand gets ridden hard and put away wet.  So it works just fine.

RUNCHARGER

That sounds like it is shifting totally normal.
Sheldon