Main Menu

Stock 340 Rebuild - New Head Bolts?

Started by Yellow71Cuda, May 31, 2017, 02:21:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yellow71Cuda

Machine shop recommends new head bolts, as I really don't know the history of my engine (prior overheat, etc.).  I'm changing the rod bolts to new ARP, and ARP main studs, but I'd like to keep the stock appearance.   :thinking:
New head bolts don't appear stock.  Experience and thoughts greatly appreciated!  Thanks!   :thankyou:   

71GranCoupe

If the machine shop is recommending new, and the relatively low cost of new ones, go with new. Then in the unlikely event of a engine failure, it can't be blamed on the head bolts, as recommended by the shop.   :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

If you planned to get OEM judged, you'll need the stock head bolts.  But if you want a super strong bolt that will look okay when you paint the engine, the ARP's are about the best they make.  Only a few people will be able to point out the ARP bolts.  When I see ARP bolts I think that someone did a nice job on the engine because they are not cheap bolts.   :alan2cents:

Yellow71Cuda

:thankyou:

I appreciate the feedback.  Not knowing the history of my 47 year old engine, I'll go with new bolts.

usraptor

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 31, 2017, 02:27:48 PM
If you planned to get OEM judged, you'll need the stock head bolts.  But if you want a super strong bolt that will look okay when you paint the engine, the ARP's are about the best they make.  Only a few people will be able to point out the ARP bolts.  When I see ARP bolts I think that someone did a nice job on the engine because they are not cheap bolts.   :alan2cents:
:iagree:  :twothumbsup: