Main Menu

A33 with gear vendors or TKO or passion 5speed

Started by Fern, November 24, 2022, 08:06:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: 70rag383 on December 19, 2022, 05:43:36 AM
I have the TKO-600 5-speed. 5 years and 11,000 miles and no issues at all. The car is a lot of fun to drive and great on the highway.

11000 miles  :clapping: I can't believe it....Back when I built it, I know you said you wanted to drive it.....but that's an awesome amount of driving right there.....oh....your warrantee is up  :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70rag383

Quote from: anlauto on December 19, 2022, 06:09:59 AM
Quote from: 70rag383 on December 19, 2022, 05:43:36 AM
I have the TKO-600 5-speed. 5 years and 11,000 miles and no issues at all. The car is a lot of fun to drive and great on the highway.

11000 miles  :clapping: I can't believe it....Back when I built it, I know you said you wanted to drive it.....but that's an awesome amount of driving right there.....oh....your warrantee is up  :haha: :haha:

I remember the conversation very well. A lot of people are surprised how much I drive the car. I didn't meet too many guys at Carlisle who actually drove their cars from home and I drove from Toronto.   :canada:  I was thinking, is there something wrong with me?  Looking  forward to next July when I will drive to Carlisle again. Maybe the Hot Rod Power Tour too.  Probably going to need A/C installed.   

Filthy Filbert

Wow you got a TKO that shifts well?   It's a unicorn!

I had a TKO-600 and even with a dialed in bell housing (within .003) and proper air gap on the clutch disc, it simply would not shift over 3500 rpm.  I'd run it up in 1st gear, stab the clutch, then have to hold the shifter against the 2nd gear gate until RPM dropped and it would fall into gear.

Shifted great just casually driving though, I will say that.  Like butter.  smooth, effortless, didn't even need the clutch driving around town.

I plan to drive mine a lot too once it's finished.  Gen 3 hemi, TKX, aftermarket AC modern Brembo disc brakes...it'll be like a brand new car I hope!

GrandpaKevin

https://www.facebook.com/HUMBLEPERFORMANCE/videos/3594730223965888

I thought about a TKO or even a TKX but I don't think they're capable of shifting they way I shift my Hemi 4 speed.....

Maybe someday I'll try the A855.

70rag383

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 20, 2022, 08:33:07 AM
Wow you got a TKO that shifts well?   It's a unicorn!

I had a TKO-600 and even with a dialed in bell housing (within .003) and proper air gap on the clutch disc, it simply would not shift over 3500 rpm.  I'd run it up in 1st gear, stab the clutch, then have to hold the shifter against the 2nd gear gate until RPM dropped and it would fall into gear.

Shifted great just casually driving though, I will say that.  Like butter.  smooth, effortless, didn't even need the clutch driving around town.

I plan to drive mine a lot too once it's finished.  Gen 3 hemi, TKX, aftermarket AC modern Brembo disc brakes...it'll be like a brand new car I hope!

No issues at all with my TKO-600. Most of the time I drive it pretty easy but when I let it go I've never had a problem with high RPM shifting. Very reliable, goes into gear especially the infamous 2-3 shift which some guys complain about. Must have been all that practicing I did in the driveway!  :veryexcited:

Good luck with your build, sounds like a nice one. Post some pics here on the site.

Fastmark

I'm not sure what this transmission is called that we took out of this hemi Charger, but it was one of the first five speeds that were offered to swap into a Mopar. All I know it as is a Tremec. I know it's a Ford a transmission. It's had about $7500 invested in it to make it survive/shift in a 660 HP motor. It could be bought cheap. It's had special work done to the gears for street racing but it grinds like a truck trans if you don't shift it right. We'll be lucky to get $500 for it AND the scatter shield.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Fastmark on December 21, 2022, 04:11:09 AM
I'm not sure what this transmission is called that we took out of this hemi Charger, but it was one of the first five speeds that were offered to swap into a Mopar. All I know it as is a Tremec. I know it's a Ford a transmission. It's had about $7500 invested in it to make it survive/shift in a 660 HP motor. It could be bought cheap. It's had special work done to the gears for street racing but it grinds like a truck trans if you don't shift it right. We'll be lucky to get $500 for it AND the scatter shield.

Sounds like the 3550, which was a predecessor to the TKO.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 70rag383 on December 20, 2022, 07:51:42 PM

Good luck with your build, sounds like a nice one. Post some pics here on the site.

Thanks.   Current build thread is posted in the projects section.  "St Louis Blues Cuda"

HP2

Quote from: Fastmark on December 21, 2022, 04:11:09 AM

I'd like to find a Ford T-56 like that. I have a SBM bell just waiting for one of those.