Main Menu

A833 big block transmission to smallblock bellhousing?

Started by Shoooter, April 21, 2019, 09:42:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

If I get it machined out there wont be any other problems? It's not cheap around here 250-300 to have it enlarged

Brads70

Quote from: Shoooter on April 24, 2019, 08:49:02 PM
If I get it machined out there wont be any other problems? It's not cheap around here 250-300 to have it enlarged

That's nuts! Too bad you don't live close by. Easy job , coffee and while you wait would do it. It's like a half hour job at most. Find another shop!

Shoooter

That was all 3 shops in town! I agree is shouldn't be that much. My friend has a milling machine but he isnt sure he could get it as accurate on it. I'm guessing it needs to be pretty accurate

anlauto

For about $50 you could mail it to Brad and have him do it  :yes: .....Not sure how you would mail the coffee though  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dan Brewer

Quote from: Brads70 on April 25, 2019, 02:37:57 AM
Quote from: Shoooter on April 24, 2019, 08:49:02 PM

That's nuts! Too bad you don't live close by. Easy job , coffee and while you wait would do it. It's like a half hour job at most. Find another shop!
No other problems.  We charge $45 to machine an alum bell from 4.354" to 4.807"...$250 is insane.
For all your A833 4-speed needs: 
www.brewersperformance.com

Shoooter

Brads70

Quote from: Shoooter on April 25, 2019, 05:46:14 AM
That was all 3 shops in town! I agree is shouldn't be that much. My friend has a milling machine but he isnt sure he could get it as accurate on it. I'm guessing it needs to be pretty accurate

Does he have a boring head? R8 shaft? If not you could borrow mine , we could mail it back and forth?

Shoooter

Shoooter

What's the tolerance allowed on the hole? I haven't got over to his place yet to see what kind of machine he has. Does the bellhousing hold the retainer or is most of the support held by the transmission bolts to the bellhousing. I know you don't want slop in the hole.

Chryco Psycho

the tolerance is not too bad you want the hole a .002 loose so you don't have to force the retainer into the hole in the bell  , BUt it has to be centered , the input shaft into the rear of the crank has a runout of approx .005 after that you have to use offset dowels to center it or it can become hard to shift

YellowThumper

Agree with @Chryco Psyco with the numbers noted.
As you have current bellhousing measure its diameter to see what numbers it is oversized to the nominal dimension. Make yours within the same.
Be sure hole is centered and the mounting face is flat to machining plane.
Any decent cnc can cut it exacting.
No cnc, it can be bored straight thru on standard mill. With creativity boring tool could be hand made.
Manual mill and manual rotary table will also work with more creativity mounting it.
I suspect the fork bracket will get milled also to clear. Bolt locations should be ok to remain.
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Racer57

Why not sell what you have and buy exactly what you need ?  :notsure:

Shoooter

If I could find one I would. There harder to find now. Non in my area