Main Menu

AC compressor clutch help

Started by Bruno, November 08, 2020, 11:20:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bruno

I'll try to make a long story short. My wife was driving my Cuda when the belts snapped off and she went into panic mode. I replaced the belts on the side of the road without checking the pulleys I should have been able to turn by hand (alternator and ac pulley). I know, I'm a dummy. Welp, I started the car and looked under the hood to see that the belt was slipping over the ac pulley and before I could kill the engine, they snapped again.  :pullinghair:

I got the car home and pulled the ac clutch using a 5/8-11 1.5" bolt to find the bearing had exploded. Pic attached.

My question is whether or not I have to have the new clutch pressed on at a machine shop or can I use a grade 8 bolt to push it on. There doesn't seem to be a ton of real estate to cover but I don't want to destroy the tapered shaft.

Any input from someone who has done this is appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

You cannot really install the clutch with a press as you are not pressing on the rear of the main shaft in the compressor so I believe that you want to press it on using the threads in the front of the shaft , I am not sure exactly which type of AC compressor you are working on tho .

Bruno

Sorry, it's an original RV2 style compressor. My car is numbers matching and didn't want to swap out to a new style even if it more efficient.

Chryco Psycho

I have not worked on one of those , but I would polish the shaft , use lube & go slow & pull it on with the threads
Any U tube videos on the RV2 ?

Bruno

Using a grade 8 bolt was likely going to be my plan. I can only find videos of disassembly. I'll take a swing at this thing tonight and update with my results.

anlauto

Are you asking if you can press a new bearing into the clutch, or press the clutch unit onto the shaft ?

RockAuto sells just the bearing, but I think it would take a press to get it out and a new one in, or some sort of special puller :dunno:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=219424&cc=1078444&jsn=432

They also sell the whole clutch assembly, but the front doesn't look exactly like the originals. :alan2cents:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=816521&cc=1078444&jsn=440&jsn=440
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bruno

I already have a whole new clutch assembly. The shaft is tapered but there's a bit of a press fit to get it seated. I'm gonna try seating it with a bolt/washer combo and see how she goes.

anlauto

Quote from: Bruno on November 08, 2020, 01:45:11 PM
I already have a whole new clutch assembly. The shaft is tapered but there's a bit of a press fit to get it seated. I'm gonna try seating it with a bolt/washer combo and see how she goes.

Oh okay, I'm sorry....yes, that is how I would install it as well. maybe take a bit larger socket that fits around the bolt hole and tap it on first with a hammer...tap not pound... then tighten the bolt, you may find a torque spec in the service manual. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

There's no press fit at all, just tighten the bolt & your good....  The taper tends to lock, thats why you use a 5/8-11 bolt to remove it...

Bruno

It did seem to go on most of the way. I was just nervous about using that bolt to snug it on there in case it snapped inside the shaft.

Bruno

You're right, I used a very light coating of grease and it slipped right on. Torqued down to 20 ft lb per the service manual. Got all of the belts back on and gonna fire it up tomorrow. Everyone pray for me! :fingerscrossed:

Bruno

Everything worked out great. I'll drive it for a bit then double check the belts and torque on the compressor bolt. Sunny and 65 in November is the only redeeming quality of California. Time to get back on the road!

anlauto

Quote from: Bruno on November 09, 2020, 10:36:52 AM
. Sunny and 65 in November is the only redeeming quality of California. Time to get back on the road!

:rofl: 70* in Georgetown ON Canada today.....I know it's weird ...I love me some "Global Warming".... :haha: :haha:

MoparLeo

We would replace the compressor/clutch as a complete assembly. Most often the compressor leaks after a clutch failure and trying to just replace the clutch. In the end it is less costly and more effective to replace the assembly. Not really expensive and much easier to just bolt on. No worries., not compressor seal leaks. Refrigerant, especially if you are still using R-12 is very expensive and harmful to the "environment".
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...