Main Menu

Anyone put aftermarket cruise control in their ebody?

Started by Mickm, May 10, 2018, 07:45:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

My list of things I want to add to the TINFISH are getting smaller. One of the last items is cruise control.
I'm wondering if anyone has added aftermarket cruise to their ebody?  I am doing some research on the Dakota Digital version but thought I would ask to see if anyone as installed it and what your thoughts were.

Cheers!
Mickm

ToxicWolf

I just read about the Dakota Digital. Looks really interesting. And I do have an electronic speedometer.  :thinking:

Mickm

Hi Jim,
I agree, it looks interesting and well engineered. I plan to give them a call next week and discuss and possibly order.

No other comments so either this is a taboo topic or no interest. For me going to a good car show equals about a 4-5 hour drive. I have enough trouble keeping it below 80 just around here so I thought it would be a good idea to research.

I too have an electronic speedo. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Mickm

ToxicWolf

Chryco Psycho

I took a system from a 74 Newport & used it in my Power Wagon if that counts

jimynick

I don't have any experience in that, but I DO like CC and if there's an easy - yeah, what am I saying?- way to do it, I'd also be interested!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

1 Wild R/T

I like my cruise control, but it's stock....  :banana:  With the technology that exists today there should be a good aftermarket unit available, Dakota Digital makes nice stuff so chances are their unit is pretty nice..

Mickm

Well, I've done all my research, watched all available video's, read everything I could find, bought the Dakota Digital CRS-3000 kit and have now installed everything, done all the diagnostic testing and just completed the road testing. In a word........Wow!!!!
This is the coolest thing. I have never built a hotrod or muscle car with cruise control before.

So, since there was nothing to be found on our site and there was some (minor) interest, I thought I would share my experience so some of you that may be thinking of doing this will have something to ponder.

First off, the Dakota Digital kit comes with everything you will need with the exception of a VSS speed generator, but you may or may not need it. I did because I am running a Gear Vendors overdrive and while it has it's own VSS, a separate unit is required for the cruise. One note to this point. The square rod inside the VSS had to be shortened to set properly but that is a minor thing, but Dakota Digital did not share that until I made them aware.

Ok. so lets get started....

This is what comes in the kit. As I said, it has everything you should need. Including pretty good instructions for installation and testing.

I wanted the have a stock position on the column also there really isn't another good option of mounting the small panel offered.
So I opted for the GM style replacement arm. The problem is the Mopar arm has the small alignment keys the GM don't and the holes in the GM are quite a bit larger. So, I decided to cut both arms then welded the GM arm with the Mopar mounting end.

This is the finished product. It fit perfectly. I ground the weld back but it is inside the column jacket and completely out of sight.

It fits in place so well, you don't even notice it's there unless you look closely for it!

Originally, I had LoCar throttle and kickdown mounts. I quickly learned this was to change. I bought the shown throttle mount. It has proper positioning for everything!

The major hurdle for me was in the mounting location of the control box. I simply could not find a suitable place in the engine compartment.
I looked under the car....nothing. The only place that seemed to work was under the dash next to the glove box. However, the instructions say not to mount it inside due to the possibility of hearing the servo. I called and talked to a tech and was told, if your car has any muffler, engine noise you will never hear anything, so mounting it there will be fine. After it was mounted I found the length of the plastic sheath going to the engine was perfect, with no binding or sharp turns and the fit was perfect.....it wasn't just the only place, it was the perfect place!!!

There is some minor wiring but nothing  to be concerned about. I did add a small LED light in the left light hole in the dash that lets me know when the cruise is activated.

After all the testing was completed in the shop I took it for a drive on the interstate. Everything works as it should and I am extremely pleased I did this.

Well, that's it. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about putting in Cruise Control.  If you do and have any questions, just let me know.

Cheers!
Mickm

Brads70

Sounds interesting. For some reason I can't see your pictures?  :dunno:

HP_Cuda

Heck I have the first ever Dodge cruise control in my 75 Power wagon, pretty cool.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2018, 07:37:57 PM
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Mickm

Brad,
Not sure why you can't see my pictures. I posted them via Photobucket.
Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Mickm

Brads70

Quote from: Mickm on November 15, 2018, 02:43:40 PM
Brad,
Not sure why you can't see my pictures. I posted them via Photobucket.
Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Mickm
If I click on the highlighted " Proxy in post reply" it takes awhile but it does load up each picture individually ? Weird as I have both a photobucket account and have downloaded the photobucket embedded image fix. 

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 15, 2018, 12:08:21 PM

Heck I have the first ever Dodge cruise control in my 75 Power wagon, pretty cool.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2018, 07:37:57 PM
Mine was also a 75 W250 440 4 spd lifted with 38" tires !!

GY3R/T

Why in the world would you want to add Cruise Control to an E-body..... :popcorn:
   Maybe the guys who use the electric carts at the grocery store.