Main Menu

Axle Bearing Making Noise

Started by erik70rt, August 25, 2017, 06:16:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Yes & No
if you do not have the center pin you cannot set the end play , I would far rather do it properly & add the center pin than go to the cheap Green brgs though

erik70rt

Where can I get a center pin?  How do you install it in an 8.75?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

dodj

There is no pin I'm aware of? Swapped a few rears but never knew anything about a pin?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

I would check with Dr. Diff. Someone reproduces them but I can't remember who, Dr. Diff is the go-to guy though. I'm not a fan of green bearings either on a car that goes around corners.

Oh, here's one link.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/qj64

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Is your new 3rd member a clutch style sure grip?

Cause they are the only units that use thrust pins... And if your missing thrust pins you buy thrust pins not new bearings...

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 26, 2017, 07:34:44 AM
Yes & No
if you do not have the center pin you cannot set the end play , I would far rather do it properly & add the center pin than go to the cheap Green brgs though
And now I'm removing the tru-trac I just put in because the guy who helped me said I didn't need it....I'll be doing the same job as you tonight Erik :pullinghair:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on August 26, 2017, 11:44:14 AM
Yes & No
And now I'm removing the tru-trac I just put in because the guy who helped me said I didn't need it....I'll be doing the same job as you tonight Erik :pullinghair:

I haven't heard/read good things about truetrac and 8 3/4 ....... Hope yours is trouble free.

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on August 26, 2017, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: dodj on August 26, 2017, 11:44:14 AM
Yes & No

I haven't heard/read good things about truetrac and 8 3/4 ....... Hope yours is trouble free.
Me to. Locally the Mopar guys seem to really like them?

Gary

I'll ask the stupid question,  What's wrong with the green bearings, I've put them in the last few cars we've restored ever since a rear end shop told me they were an improvement  over stock.

Shane Kelley

They are a sealed round ball bearing design and work fine for going straight. It's been said they don't handle side loads very well. Like road course curves and driving under those types of conditions.  It's also been said they have durability issues.

I run them myself but can't confirm or deny any of those things. I don't have enough miles on mine yet.

dodj

Quote from: Gary on August 27, 2017, 02:28:44 PM
I'll ask the stupid question,  What's wrong with the green bearings, I've put them in the last few cars we've restored ever since a rear end shop told me they were an improvement  over stock.
They are definitely not an improvement over stock, they are just cheaper. The 'green' bearings are perfect for something that never see's side loading, like an electric motor driving a pump. But for a car.....well....not designed for the application.

erik70rt

I ordered a set of bearings from Dr. Diff.  My R/T is not a daily driver nor is it driven hard in corners, so they should be fine for my application.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Shane Kelley

I'm running Dr. Diff axles with his green bearings. I do drive mine hard from hole shots to high speeds.  :burnout: Not really autocross type driving but I tend to hit the curves pretty aggressive. I guess time will tell.

dodj

Quote from: erik70rt on August 28, 2017, 06:30:53 AM
I ordered a set of bearings from Dr. Diff.  My R/T is not a daily driver nor is it driven hard in corners, so they should be fine for my application.
Just curious. I replaced the center pin in 30 minutes. What made you decide to go the new bearing route instead of just replacing the missing piece?
Fair amount of labor involved in cutting off the old collar etc..